Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam train consist questions

Date: 11/17/22 23:13
Steam train consist questions
Author: Trains4Life

Hello, I'm here to find out the consist information (passenger car number, reporting marks, name on the passenger car) for these trains:

- NKP 759 on the last N&W Pocahontas; May 1st, 1971
- SSW 819 NRHS Excursion, St. Louis - Illmo, MO; June 17th, 1990
- BM&R 425 operations in 1986 (ferry run & excursion from Hamburg, PA to Hoboken, NJ and from Hoboken to Port Jervis, NY; August 1st, 2nd & 3rd, 1986. Ferry move to Hoboken, excursion from Hoboken to Rutherford, NJ and ferry move from Hoboken; September 26th, 27th & 28th, 1986. BM&R Railfan Weekend; October 11th & 12th, 1986) <- These trips are showcased in the Mark I Video DVD: "Blue Mountain Odyssey"
- RDG 2102, disguised as D&H 302, excursion from Hoboken, NJ to Binghamton, NY; May 26th & 27th, 1973

If anyone has any information, please reply to this post, or spread the word to those who might know.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/22 03:28
Re: Steam train consist questions
Author: perklocal

BM&R Deadhead equipment move from Temple,PA. to Hoboken,NJ. on 8/1/86.  BM&R 425, Auxillary Tender, CR Gondola 553658 (Coal), RDI 1253 Crew Car (ex-UP Baggage Dormitory),12-BM&R 300 series coaches and BM&R Car 300-Queen of the Valley. The 425 brought the train east over the RDG Line and met M&E 18 and 17 (C424,C430) at Bethlehem,PA. The M&E Alcos piloted the train over the Washington Secondary on the way to Hoboken. Top shot on the RDG Line coming into Allentown,PA. at Downeyflake Lane. Middle shot with the M&E Alcos in the lead passing through the site of the ex-LV passenger station at Easton,PA. Bottom shot on the Washington Secondary at Broadway,NJ. (MP 71).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/22 12:39 by perklocal.

Date: 11/18/22 04:58

As for the consist on the excursion from Hoboken to Port Jervis on 8/2/86, they added Rail Passenger Cars Inc. 3302,2066 and LV 353 (Black Diamond). This shot is after arriving at Port Jervis,NY.

Date: 11/18/22 06:02

For the Deadhead move east on 9/26/86. It was BM&R-PRR E8s 5898,5706, RCT&HS-RDG GP30 5513, Conrail Geometry Train Cars 23,22,21 followed by RDI 1253 (Crew Car), CR Gondola 553658, BM&R 425, Aux.Tender, BM&R Baggage Power Car 1250, 12 ? BM&R 300 series Coaches and BM&R-Queen of the Valley 300. The return trip on 9/28/86 was the same consist minus the Conrail Geometry Cars that were left over in New Jersey. Top shot on 9/26/86 eastbound leaving Temple,PA. Bottom shot of return Deadhead on 9/28/86 at Easton,PA. Finally on the consists for BM&R's Railfan Weekend on !0/11 and 10/12/86. The only shots I took were of the PRR E8s that had the 5 Red ex-DL&W Trailer Coaches. This shot is southbound at Five Locks just below South Hamburg,PA.on 10/12. If I remember correctly the 425 ran with a consist of the Green ex DL&W MU Coaches. There may have also been a short Photo Freight with the GP30 5513.

Date: 11/18/22 18:05
Author: ironmtn

Member "perklocal" did an admirable job with the consists for those eastern trips. I am impressed, and gratified that someone kept such careful records.

As the trip chairman for the 1990 NRHS Convention in St. Louis, I am going to suggest that it may not be so easy for that Cotton Belt 819 trip. I worked with the 819 group for their trips to and from St. Louis, and they were pulling things together close to trip date. Someone out there may have a consist record, which would be great, but it may be a longer shot. The trips were fine, but it was a somewhat fluid situation close to trip date, and their folks were pretty focused on tons of details close to the time they left Pine Bluff. A consist list might not have been a key concern.

Wish I could help, but I don't have anything in my old notes, nor would there have been any need to do so. Hope I'm wrong on this and someone perhaps played clerk at one of the stops (perhaps at Illmo, Missouri either way) and jotted down the car names / numbers or took photos of each for the record. Or made a consist list when they were ready to roll, or even perhaps has an SSW operations document that might have listed the cars. Good luck. I'd be interested in knowing, or seeing images, myself. Good folks, a fine engine, wish they could have had more operations than they did.

MC

Date: 11/18/22 18:58
Author: EMD2024

ironmtn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Member "perklocal" did an admirable job with the
> consists for those eastern trips. I am impressed,
> and gratified that someone kept such careful
> records.
>
> As the trip chairman for the 1990 NRHS Convention
> in St. Louis, I am going to suggest that it may
> not be so easy for that Cotton Belt 819 trip. I
> worked with the 819 group for their trips to and
> from St. Louis, and they were pulling things
> together close to trip date. Someone out there may
> have a consist record, which would be great, but
> it may be a longer shot. The trips were fine, but
> it was a somewhat fluid situation close to trip
> date, and their folks were pretty focused on tons
> of details close to the time they left Pine Bluff.
> A consist list might not have been a key concern.
>
> Wish I could help, but I don't have anything in my
> old notes, nor would there have been any need to
> do so. Hope I'm wrong on this and someone perhaps
> played clerk at one of the stops (perhaps at
> Illmo, Missouri either way) and jotted down the
> car names / numbers or took photos of each for the
> record. Or made a consist list when they were
> ready to roll, or even perhaps has an SSW
> operations document that might have listed the
> cars. Good luck. I'd be interested in knowing, or
> seeing images, myself. Good folks, a fine engine,
> wish they could have had more operations than they
> did.
>
> MC

I couldn't tell you the 819's consist on that trip but Dan and Janice McGuires' "Chouteau Club" was directly behind 819. The cars AC had quit so we had to run with the end and side service doors open. Needless to say we got plenty of smoke from whatever godawful crap they were trying to burn. I was never so relieved to get off a steam trip in my life.
This from a victim of the inaugural NKP 765 trip out of Peoria IL on Bill and Sandy Butterwoths' dome/obs Big Ben...also with no AC but no smoke at least.

MWPerkins

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4464 seconds