Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Steam & Excursion > US Sugar Rare Mileage Trip Day One with 148 01/20

Date: 01/20/23 18:32
US Sugar Rare Mileage Trip Day One with 148 01/20
Author: randyr

Folks:

US Sugar is running a "Rare Mileage" three day series of trips this weekend. Friday 01/20 was with 4-6-2 148, the trips Saturday and Sunday will be with diesels. The consist was a dining car, a Southern coach from the the Southern Appalachian Railroad Museum, an open door baggage car and a recently restored ex UP coach. Special thanks to US Sugar, FMW Solutions Staff and Barton Jennings, trip organizer.

1) Old and new at the US Sugar's Clewiston shops, 148 prepares to pull the train ahead for boarding. 501 a GP40 will couple on to the rear of the train to assist with backup moves.

2) First runby at Rodgers Road

3) Bowles Canal

To be continued...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/23 18:48 by randyr.

Date: 01/20/23 18:35
Re: US Sugar Rare Mileage Trip Day One with 148 01/20

4) Miami Canal

5) 501 pulls the train back after the runby

6) 148 poses on the bridge at the Miami Canal 

To be continues...

Date: 01/20/23 18:43

7) After the train was wyed, going north over the Miami Canal, actually here it is backing up for the runby

8) Runby at Miami Canal

9) 501 waits for the runs tomorrow with the US Sugar "pocket" streamliner, note 148 is tucked away in the engine house.

With a potential lack of mainline steam this year, consider a trip to Clewiston, 2.5 hours south of Orlando, to see a great steam operation.

Thanks for looking, 

Randy in PHX

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/23 19:34 by randyr.

Date: 01/20/23 19:12
Author: refarkas

Thanks for taking us along chasing 148 - Well done.
Bob

Date: 01/20/23 21:23
Author: SantaFeCF7

I’m sad about having to set this weekend out because of the stupid Chiefs home game, especially because as it turns out we didn’t wind up being that busy. And now they are calling for snow tomorrow. I would much rather be there in Florida! At least I get to go on next months excursion, I just have to keep my eye on the prize!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/21/23 04:11
Author: bmarti7

Thanks for the coverage. I wanted to take the day off and get over there but we had a very important meeting with the insurance folks regarding the church's hurricane Ian damages.  Congrats on the IOTD!

PCBill

Date: 01/21/23 04:52
Author: SD45X

Excellent!

Date: 01/21/23 06:55
Author: dougd

Steamers with a smile on their face put a smile on mine!

Date: 01/21/23 07:08
Author: co614

Sure nice to see the 148 up and running. Wonder what was the operating reason that required them to add a dismal on the hind end??  With today's radios they could safely make reverse moves safely with a qualified employee riding the leading end talking to the 148 through the reverse move??  No big deal, just spoils the otherwise well done steam event.

Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/21/23 07:58
Author: nathansixchime

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure nice to see the 148 up and running. Wonder
> what was the operating reason that required them
> to add a dismal on the hind end??  With today's
> radios they could safely make reverse moves safely
> with a qualified employee riding the leading end
> talking to the 148 through the reverse move??  No
> big deal, just spoils the otherwise well done
> steam event.
>
>     Ross Rowland 

We've done plenty of reverse moves tender first, including the all-day Lake Placid trips, but these trips don't always have sidings or areas to run around the train due to the operating schedule.

There have also been enough collisions in this region with freight trains, farming equipment, and semi-trucks, and if you throw in the occasional blinding rain storms, etc that makes running in reverse less than palatable.

Wrecking a gorgeous 1920s Alco would do a lot more to spoil an event, wouldn't you agree?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/23 07:59 by nathansixchime.

Date: 01/21/23 09:03
Author: co614

As I asked.....what was the operating reason for the dismal. If it was because they needed to reverse direction where there was no way to run the 148 around the consist ??  Then run the dismal a mile or two behind the special and when you reach the place to reverse direction have the dismal couple up to the hind end, do an on/off test and go. Can't believe they added it to help with tractive effort as the 148 should have no need for help with that tiny train on a flat railroad.

To most folks it isn't at all important. To me, to make that multi million dollar investment to show off your heritage using the magic of steam and then materially detract from it with the dismal equals a missed opportunity.

I'll be the first to admit that I have from the get-go ( 1966) insisted upon one baseline principle on this subject.....if you're gonna run steam.......RUN STEAM. In situations where dismals are needed to make it work then run them ahead of or behind the show's star and out of sight until needed ( long reverse move with no way to run around, help for stalled on a too steep grade, road failure etc.) .

Just my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary.  Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/21/23 09:18
Author: SD45X

Protection power. Can't shut the sugar down.

Date: 01/21/23 10:04
Author: inrdjlg

I'd take a diesel on the rear of the train, versus no steam or no train at all.  At least the geep's not tucked in right behind the 148.  

Date: 01/21/23 11:59
Author: longliveSP

inrdjlg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd take a diesel on the rear of the train, versus
> no steam or no train at all.  At least the geep's
> not tucked in right behind the 148.  

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

Date: 01/22/23 02:22

Thanks everyone for your comments, it was a great day. I wasn't overly traumatized by the diesel. It is harvest season with many cane trains out on the lines. We were under a tight schedule, and I assumed having the diesel on the rear helped speed up positioning for the runbys. Also, I heard someone mention that this trip was the first time they turned the entire train on the wye at Okeelanta. And the diesel was there to help run around the wye. And as SD45X stated, need to have the diesel along in case something happened with 148. Don't need a stranded train out blocking the line with a disabled steam engine. And as another poster stated, better to have a steam train with a diesel, than no train at all.

Randy in PHX

Date: 01/22/23 04:29
Author: PlyWoody

How many fans signed up for the rare mileage event?  

Date: 01/22/23 05:04

Hi Plywoody, they said 100 folks are signed up.

Randy in PHX

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/23/23 14:42
Author: Spike_Crusher

Wow......at first glance, I thought that was S&A 750.....both Alcos....similar time period.....beautiful.

Date: 01/26/23 12:28
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0804 seconds