Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Steam & Excursion > US Sugar Rare Mileage Trips, Day 2 with Diesels, Saturday 01/21

Date: 01/22/23 02:48
US Sugar Rare Mileage Trips, Day 2 with Diesels, Saturday 01/21
Author: randyr

Yesterday's Day 2 trip pf the Rare Mileage excursions had a diesel at both ends of the train. 501, a GP40 and 304, a GP11. Another fun day and thanks to all involved with the trips.

1) First runby of the day at the swing bridge at the Caloosahatchee Canal, at the western edge of Lake Okeechobee.

2) Runby at Giles Loadout

3) Lunch stop at the Lake Placid Depot

To be continued...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/23 03:05 by randyr.

Date: 01/22/23 03:05
Re: US Sugar Rare Mileage Trips, Day 2 with Diesels, Saturday 01/
Author: randyr

4) Back at the swing bridge at Caloosahatchee, the train pulls over the bridge, so it can be opened to allow a couple boats to pass through

5) The bridge opened, with the train off to the far right, note on the opened part of the bridge, the rails are automatically raised up to disengage and allow the movement. I don't get a lot of waterway and swing bridge action in Arizona. 

6) Loading harvested sugar cane, the front end loader is using a cable to move the cars

Thanks for looking, it was another fun day. True confession, when I signed up, I thought they were going to use steam engine 148 all three days. I need to learn to calm down and read more carefully. I did enjoy sitting in the diner zipping along at 40 mph and hearing the horn blowing for the grade crossings. A great train consist at intesting locations.

Randy in PHX

Date: 01/22/23 10:31
Author: SD45X

The ex MILW GP40 is a treat for sure with Dynamic Brake delete option and blister intact:)

Date: 01/22/23 14:46
Author: wcamp1472

Picture #4...

It's very possible that's NOT a GP40.... a true 40 is turbo-charged, 
The 4 stacks on the roof are evidence that there's no turbocharger on
this engine block.

Might have been modified, or probably was an entirely different loco.

IMHO

W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/23 14:47 by wcamp1472.

Date: 01/22/23 15:38
Author: SD45X

We had a GP11 on the other end and that's what is in pic 4:)

Date: 01/22/23 17:26
Author: SantaFeCF7

Thank you for your posts and photos! I’m really hating having to set this weekend out! Maybe I will get lucky and they will run the entire route again this Fall.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.084 seconds