Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Steam & Excursion > N.P. 1368 info request

Date: 01/29/23 00:13
N.P. 1368 info request
Author: Texican65

Hi guys,

Im wondering if anybody can tell me a little more about the 1368? I see that it is an S-4 class 4-6-0, but I’m not sure who built it, where it was assigned, etc. ?

Im specifically looking for a photo of it servicing the coal mines or towns during the 1930’s-1950’s along the NP line between Kangley, WA and Palmer, WA or anywhere in the area for that matter.

I’ve been exploring some of the old coal mines and towns in the area that have long been abandoned, and the old NP right-of-way is the best way in and out of these areas. It would be enjoyable to see some steam engines in action on these tracks.

Seeing any other locomotives performing work in this area would be great appreciated as well. The MILW tracks parallel the NP through here and serviced a lot of the same areas, that material would be welcomed as well. Thanks very much,

Tex

Date: 01/29/23 08:04
Re: N.P. 1368 info request
Author: WoodwardEJ

Per Northern Pacific Engines of Growth 1887-1905 by Schrenk and Frey, Northern Pacific #1368 was built by Baldwin (construction number 20469) in May 1902. It was converted to burn oil in March 1947. 

Class Card for #1368 - ViewScan Premium PDF ouput (nprha.org)

It was dismantled on March 27, 1957. page 3 of NP Steam Locomotives 1250 - 1849 Register Sheets.pdf (nprha.org)

You can see several Walt Ainsworh photos of #1368 at Ainsworth NP Steam Locomotives - All Items (nprha.org)  

http://www.nprha.org/59/59.1.166.jpg shows a 1934 mishap to #1368 at Crocker, Washington.

Jim Fredrickson's collection also has several photos of #1368 - Jim Fredrickson's Photo Collection - Standard View (nprha.org)

Ron Nixon's collection includes one photo of #1368 Steam Locomotive List (montana.edu)

Wade Stevenson's collection includes three photos of #1368 Stevenson Photos - All Items (nprha.org)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/23 08:30 by WoodwardEJ.

Date: 01/29/23 09:15
Author: PacificElectric1961

It would be interesting to see photos from your exploring! 

Date: 01/29/23 09:21
Author: WoodwardEJ

PacificElectric1961 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be interesting to see photos from your
> exploring! 
Click the links. Wait briefly, then enter 1368 into the Find an Item window that appears and click the Search icon.

Date: 01/29/23 13:49
Author: Elesco

WoodwardEJ Wrote:
> PacificElectric1961 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It would be interesting to see photos from your
> > exploring! 
> Click the links. Wait briefly, then enter 1368
> into the Find an Item window that appears and
> click the Search icon.

I think he was asking the original poster about photos of the old coal mines and towns he had been exploring.

Date: 01/29/23 16:26
Author: Texican65

Elesco Wrote:
> WoodwardEJ Wrote:
> -----
> > PacificElectric1961 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > It would be interesting to see photos from
> your
> > > exploring! 
> > Click the links. Wait briefly, then enter 1368
> > into the Find an Item window that appears and
> > click the Search icon.
>
> I think he was asking the original poster about
> photos of the old coal mines and towns he had been
> exploring.

Sorry about that, I should have been more clear.

I was mainly interested in photos of steam engines servicing the towns and mines of Kangley, Selleck, Hiawatha, Elkcoal, Durham and Palmer.

I had found a torn photo of the NP 1368 at the Durham mines, but it was so tattered, that it is hard to see what is actually happening.

Thank you everybody for the info, it’s much appreciated.

And I would upload photos, but my new phone is taking some sort of high intensity photo that I can download to my computer, but for some reason will not upload to this website. Very irritating.

Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.08 seconds