Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Steam & Excursion > Meanwhile, Out at Laws.. Sampler 4

Date: 03/26/23 12:15
Meanwhile, Out at Laws.. Sampler 4
Author: BoilingMan

More from Laws- a few night shots.  I flew the drone on two quick hops- quick because the museum's airspace is chock full of stuff to tangle up a drone!!
SR

Note on Photo 5:  The 18 set fire to the ties under the firebox (oopsie!) and in my photo they're backing off so the fire can be extinguished.  It was a very short over and done moment I was in just the right place to capture- I'm not sure how many attendees even knew it happened.

Oh, and in Photos 3&4 there are 2 bright spots of light in the sky- that's Jupiter and the Moon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/23 12:20 by BoilingMan.

Date: 03/26/23 12:17
Re: Meanwhile, Out at Laws.. Sampler 4
Author: BoilingMan

Date: 03/26/23 12:26
I don't feel so bad about not going this time....
Author: jbwest

....your creative approach to photography is filling me in very nicely.  I particularly like this night stuff. I know the 9 is not really steamed up, but the pix made me wonder when the last time two steam engines were live in Laws, probably not since the line over Mt. Montgomery pass was torn up.  Thanks for the prompt posts.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/23 12:30 by jbwest.

Date: 03/26/23 13:47
Re: I don't feel so bad about not going this time....
Author: ironmtn

Just super. The second image is a real jaw-dropper. Fine work SR - thanks.

MC

Date: 03/26/23 16:27
Author: TheNavigator

Yes, super images, well done!  Have enjoyed viewing each of the Laws Samplers.
GK

Date: 03/26/23 18:47
Author: lynnpowell

Did SP use standard gauge ties on the narrow gauge, or did they obtain shorter ties?

Date: 03/27/23 09:36
Tie length
Author: jbwest

lynnpowell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did SP use standard gauge ties on the narrow
> gauge, or did they obtain shorter ties?

Judging from the first picture from 1959 I would say a mix.  But the second picture (same year) suggests most were of the shorter variety.  Probably toward the end they started using more readily available standard gauge ties.

JBWX

Date: 03/29/23 12:27
Re: Tie length
Author: webmaster

At one time in the early 1900s they were preparing the line for standard gauging by cutting back depot building roof lines. Perhaps they continued putting in standard gauge ties with the idea this could occur at some point. Unless they were putting in relay ties in, purchasing shorter ties saves a considerable amount of money. 

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds