Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Steam & Excursion > Streamlining the 614

Date: 01/30/24 08:40
Streamlining the 614
Author: bandob

After reading the discussion about Illinois Central's lone streamlined steam locomotive, and the ones of NC&StL, I had to go look for this photo from 1992. 614 was going to be streamlined, temporarily, with plywood. Rained like heck, though, and all was lost.

B&OBill

Date: 01/30/24 08:55
Re: Streamlining the 614
Author: dcoursey

I really liked that scheme...especially liked seeing 614 with her headlight centered with her oval number plate. Quite the regal gal!

Date: 01/30/24 09:25
Author: PHall

Put a skyline casing on it and it might have worked!  Look how much it improved the looks of SP's Mountains.

Date: 01/30/24 09:38
Author: ClubCar

dcoursey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really liked that scheme...especially liked
> seeing 614 with her headlight centered with her
> oval number plate. Quite the regal gal!

Seeing B&O Bill's photo of the 614, I thought that I would put two of my photos on here.  These were taken on the weekend after the temporary streamlining for the proposed "21st Century Limited" steam train, when the engine was then operated at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore over their one mile rail line.  These photos were taken by me and may have been seen here on Trainorders before as I have given copies to other friends of mine.  The whistle from the ex-C&O 614 could be heard over a mile away down by the Baltimore Harbor while it was in operation and hundreds of people were really surprised to see the large 4-8-4 in operation.  However, upon visiting the B&O R.R. Museum, so many were disappointed that they could not take a ride behind the engine as it was only pulling a caboose back and forth and the regular passenger train in operation for the museum was being pulled by a diesel engine.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/30/24 11:17
Author: Wolfman

Man, She is a beauty!

Date: 01/30/24 12:02
Author: geoff16805

Meh.........   Give me the original look ANY DAY!

I believe 614 to be one of the most beautiful designs ever.  I saw her first excursion to Harpers Ferry in 1980 and my 10 year old brain was blown away by this locomotive.  And I was already a seasoned vet seeing 610, 4501, 2839, AFT 1/2101 and any other engine running in the Northeast at that time.

I think Southern's treatment to C&O 2716 was much better than the centered headlight on 614

My thoughts were only reinforced by getting to work on the 614 during the Iron Horse Enterprises trips out of Hoboken in 1996 to 1998.  I even personally got the bell back to its original, lower location in 1998 after it had been raised to allow room for centering the headlight.

G-off

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds