Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Steam & Excursion > Searching for an Excursion

Date: 01/30/24 17:05
Searching for an Excursion
Author: Friborage

Last year in April, RBMN did a rare mileage excursion as a fundraiser for a local group. It was called Oneida Clipper. It followed the line starting at Reading Outer Station up through Tamaqua. The rare mileage portion began north of Tamaqua at the wye at Haucks. Rather than going toward Hometown here, where every rbmn passenger run goes, this took the arm headed towards Hazleton where only freight runs… up through Lofty and McAdoo to Oneida Jct, where the trip reversed and headed back to Reading.

It was a super cool trip, and was virtually the whole day… like 9am-5 or 6pm. So much scenery and just getting to relax in my train seat and ignore the rest of the world. I brought snacks in a backpack and just zoned out. Most relaxing day out I’ve had in a long time.

I doubt they’ll do it again any time soon as it was a one-off fundraiser, and it was like a decade since the first one they did.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar? I’m in the NEPA area and I’m willing to travel a bit.. anywhere within PA and even NY or VA areas. I’ve been keeping my eyes open for something but I can’t find anything similar… only short, touristy things of like 60-90 mins… which are fine, and fun in and of themselves… I’m dying for a day trip though, something I can settle in for a long haul!

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/24 17:07 by Friborage.

Date: 01/30/24 17:36
Re: Searching for an Excursion
Author: dan

RBN may do some stuff off their normal runs this year

Date: 01/30/24 19:25
Author: RuleG

The Everett Railroad is offering several excursions in March and April.  Although the trip is 2.5 hours, I highly recommend the "Steam into the Cove" excursion.  Another excursion, which appears to be a new offering is the "Sproul Special" on the railroad's Bedford Branch.For more information, go to: https://everettrailroad.com/

Not sure if it is too far from you, but you may want to check the offerings of the Durbin & Greenbriar Railroad in West Virginia which offers steam and diesel winter excursions 4 - 5.5 hours long.  Go to: https://mountainrailwv.com

Steamtown occasionally runs longer distance excursions.  Any such excursions will be announced later this year.

Date: 01/30/24 20:28
Author: Friborage

I’ll keep an eye on rbmn as I always do, they’re my main railfan focus, lol.

However, my mind is absolutely blown on steamtown. I always knew they had short little 30 min tours but how in the world was I not aware they do much longer excursions?? I had no clue! I live closer to Scranton than Reading or Port Clinton..

I was just browsing their 2023 event calendar that’s still up, and that’s exactly what Im looking for. Thank you so much, this will enrich my future so much!

I’ll also be checking out the West Virginia and Everett deals, cause that sounds great too.

Thanks again.
Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/24 20:29 by Friborage.

Date: 01/30/24 20:50
Author: RuleG

Glad that was helpful.

I should have added that all of the longer distance Steamtown excursions have been with diesel locomotives.

Date: 01/30/24 21:15
Author: dan

those sugar cane excursions with the 148 are neat it appears

Date: 01/30/24 21:33
Author: RRBMail

Would love an excursion over the Erie/Susie Q Starrucca Viaduct. It was one of the suggested Amtrak excursions being considered when the entire program was scuttled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/24 09:25 by RRBMail.

Date: 02/02/24 12:15
Author: SantaFeCF7

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> those sugar cane excursions with the 148 are neat
> it appears

A must do trip! Hopefully they still do the 3 day trip next year of the entire line. I just couldn’t swing the days off this year with the new job.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds