Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Steam & Excursion > EBT Continuing Track Restoration Work

Date: 02/01/24 08:28
EBT Continuing Track Restoration Work
Author: pt199

Restoration of track of Pennsylvania narrow gauge tourist railroad East Broad Top south of Orbisonia will continue this year.
A report posted on the website of Railfan & Railroad magazine said the East Broad Top Foundation wants to restore operations toward Saltilo.
That segment of the EBT has not had train service since 1956 when the original EBT shut down.

EBT trains currently operate over five miles of track between Orbisonia and Colgate Grove.
Operating to Saltillo would give the EBT 15 miles of operational track. The original EBT was 70 miles in length.

Officials at the EBT have not offered a time frame for when the track would be reopened south of Orbisonia, saying it hinges upon funding and how quickly workers can clear brush and repair the track.
Work has begun between Orbisonia and Pogue to the south. From the akronrrblog 

Date: 02/01/24 14:08
Re: EBT Continuing Track Restoration Work
Author: Lackawanna484

It looks like the old right of way crosses Aughwick Creek. So new bridges will probably be needed.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/01/24 14:09
Author: MaryMcPherson

Looking forward to seeing this all first-hand this fall.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 02/01/24 14:21
Author: MH2198

pt199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Officials at the EBT have not offered a time frame
> for when the track would be reopened south of
> Orbisonia, saying it hinges upon funding and how
> quickly workers can clear brush and repair the
> track.
> Work has begun between Orbisonia and Pogue to the
> south. From the akronrrblog 

The best way to go about things: under promise and over deliver.

Date: 02/01/24 16:48
Author: co614

This is certainly THE railroad restoration project of the decade at least. Anyone who can should consider joing the Friends of the East Broad Top ( www.febt.org ) organization so as to be part of this exciting journey. When a  31 miles is back in service, the 1900 era steam powered machine shop complex at Rockhill is fully operational and all 6 steamers are back in service it will draw visitors from around the nation and deservedly so. 

Onward & upward. Ross Rowland 

Date: 02/02/24 03:19
Author: bigsavage

1. Pogue bridge awaits redecking and pier/abutment rehab.
2. Looking north from current end of track
3. The M1 has backed down to current end of track, tie/rail work extends from here to PA 475, roadbed/ROW clearing to Pogue.
10/2023 pics by me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/24 03:21 by bigsavage.

Date: 02/02/24 05:35
Author: march_hare

I'm drooling over the prospect of a photography charter on that portion of the line. 

Date: 02/02/24 07:31
Author: Pork

The track is back in to the PA475 crossing.  Ballast has been dumped and needs tamped and regulated.  This summer the talk is the crossing at PA 475 being done so work can continue to Jordan Summit.

Date: 02/03/24 05:00
Author: agent1522

Some pictures of clearing the right of way taken in April of last year. The first two are near the Southern Huntingdon County School District High School/Middle School in Three Springs, PA.  The third is near Braddock Road, I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/24 05:01 by agent1522.

Date: 02/03/24 10:45
Author: rbenko

It is amazing - hope to be part of a track gang in September when I'm up in that region (yes, I'm an official 'friend').  Amazing work has been done over the past couple of years - can't wait to get my hands dirty and help out!!

Date: 02/04/24 07:06
Author: ns1000

My wife and I were in that area maybe a year ago or so. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me (just my smartphone).

Exciting times for sure....

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds