Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Steam & Excursion > Front end Friday, Steam Version: 1969 in Baltimore

Date: 02/02/24 06:08
Front end Friday, Steam Version: 1969 in Baltimore
Author: bandob

Former Canadian Pacific #1286 was one of two 4-6-2"s powering this excursion from Baltimore Penn Station. The other was #1238. The train ran up the NEC to Perryville, then up the Port Road to Harrisburg, North to and across Rockville Bridge, through Enola, and back to Baltimore on the former Northern Central through York. A great trip!

B&OBill

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/24 06:10 by bandob.

Date: 02/02/24 08:18
Re: Front end Friday, Steam Version: 1969 in Baltimore
Author: ClubCar

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Former Canadian Pacific #1286 was one of two
> 4-6-2"s powering this excursion from Baltimore
> Penn Station. The other was #1238. The train ran
> up the NEC to Perryville, then up the Port Road to
> Harrisburg, North to and across Rockville Bridge,
> through Enola, and back to Baltimore on the former
> Northern Central through York. A great trip!
>
> B&OBill
I have a similar photo myself, Bill, but some others got in the way, which is always a problem.  Don't forget, as it turned out, the trip down the Northern Central Railroad was the last time a steam powered trip ever operated on the Northern Central (owned by Penn Central at that time) because of the destruction of that rail line, especially in Northern Maryland and in Pennsylvania, when tropical storm Agnes came through the area in 1972.  Penn Central, being broke, chose not to rebuild the line, thus the only freight service was from Baltimore up and into Cockeysville, Maryland to serve the customers along this portion of the line.  Eventually, the State of Maryland purchased the line still in service and rebuilt that portion for the Baltimore Light Rail System.  The State of Pennsylvania actually rebuilt the entire portion in Pennsylvania, and today the Steam Into History, Northern Central Railroad operates on this line from New Freedom, Pennsylvania north and in time, they hope to upgrade this line so that they can run excursion trains into York, Pennsylvania once again.  Finally, that particular ex-Canadian Pacific Engine 1286 is now back in Canada and hopefully it will be operating on a short line in the near future.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/02/24 21:54
Author: dwatry

Here's my photo of this same excursion taken with my Brownie box camera as the train came off the Rockville Bridge.

Date: 02/03/24 06:01
Author: bandob

Dwatry: Neat! Here's the view at the same time I had from on the train. You must be in that crowd ahead.

No, that is not me blocking John's photo!

B&OBill

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/24 06:06 by bandob.

Date: 02/03/24 17:00
Author: dwatry

Yeah I’m in that crowd somewhere! Just look for the geeky-looking 13 year old!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds