Home Open Account Help 187 users online

Steam & Excursion > 3985 completion


Current Page:1 of 3


Date: 02/06/24 07:46
3985 completion
Author: CO1309

Are there any estimates for when 3985 will be completed by RHMA and ready for shakedown runs?  I know they're probably not close but I can't find any information with even so much as a rough estimate.



Date: 02/06/24 09:23
Re: 3985 completion
Author: wcamp1472

3985 will probably be running before they figure out
the blowing packing solution on 1309..

Extra-Credit Question:
How do you get the highest cylinder pressures, 
to help seat new metallic, piston rod packing?

W.


If you're highly experienced, you get points taken-off....)


 



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/24 09:28 by wcamp1472.



Date: 02/06/24 09:39
Re: 3985 completion
Author: train1275

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3985 will probably be running before they figure
> out
> the blowing packing solution on 1309..
>
> Extra-Credit Question:
> How do you get the highest cylinder pressures, 
> to help seat new metallic, piston rod packing?
>
> ​W.
>
>
> ( If you're highly experienced, you get points
> taken-off....)
>
>  
IDK,
A heavy load and make her  work ?



Date: 02/06/24 09:43
Re: 3985 completion
Author: HotWater

Just my opinion but, I would think one of the biggest parts of the "3985 project" is the work to completely rebuild & convert the tender from 4014, from coal to oil fuel. Then, the original tender from 3985 will be returned from Cheyenne, where it has been coupled/used to 4014.



Date: 02/06/24 10:33
Re: 3985 completion
Author: wcamp1472

Train1275...

Very Good.
Can you suggest ways to obtain a 'heavy load"?

Credit: 90 pts.

W..

 



Date: 02/06/24 10:39
Re: 3985 completion
Author: HotWater

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Train1275...
>
> Very Good.
> Can you suggest ways to obtain a 'heavy load"?
>
> Credit: 90 pts.
>
> W..

Two six axle diesels in dynamic brake, for 10 or 20 miles.



Date: 02/06/24 10:50
Re: 3985 completion
Author: Keystone_Ed

Given that Cheyenne has made revisions to 3985's oil tender for use with 4014 beyond the coal to oil change, wouldn't it be more economical for RHMA to update 4014's tender for future 3995 operations,  and adjust the ownership records.to reflrct the exchange..  Or would should historical considerations overide economic ones. in this case?..    .



Date: 02/06/24 10:54
Re: 3985 completion
Author: HotWater

Keystone_Ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given that Cheyenne has made revisions to 3985's
> oil tender for use with 4014 beyond the coal to
> oil change,


 Just what "revisions" were made to 3985's tender?

wouldn't it be more economical for
> RHMA to update 4014's tender for future 3995
> operations,  and adjust the ownership records.to
> reflrct the exchange..  Or would should
> historical considerations overide economic ones.
> in this case?..    .



Date: 02/06/24 10:57
Re: 3985 completion
Author: callum_out

How do you get the packing to seat? Use the right packing to begin with! And if you're
still in the Jurassic time frame, about 100 cars hung out behind and a 1% grade might
help.

Out 



Date: 02/06/24 10:59
Re: 3985 completion
Author: wcamp1472

re: callum_out

Good:
Score 85 pts.

W.


 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/24 11:02 by wcamp1472.



Date: 02/06/24 11:04
Re: 3985 completion
Author: wcamp1472

Re: HotWater's

Good,
Score: 85 pts.

Info request:  Make any difference as to which 6-axles to use, or to avoid?

W.

 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/24 11:06 by wcamp1472.



Date: 02/06/24 11:36
Re: 3985 completion
Author: Hillcrest

Achieve superheat and 300 psi boiler pressure pushing a stalled freight train somewhere in Nebraska? 

In regard to the tender, the folks at  Silvis have stated they have a crew working on 4014's tender, that it will be completed relatively soon (before 3985 is)

Cheers, Dave



Date: 02/06/24 11:54
Re: 3985 completion
Author: A-1

Keystone_Ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given that Cheyenne has made revisions to 3985's
> oil tender for use with 4014 beyond the coal to
> oil change, wouldn't it be more economical for
> RHMA to update 4014's tender for future 3995
> operations,  and adjust the ownership records.to
> reflrct the exchange..  Or would should
> historical considerations overide economic ones.
> in this case?..    .

From what I read, 3985 made it into the preservation era with the tender it left ALCO with, which sounds pretty uncommon. That was the cause behind all the chatter about sending it to Silvis with 4014's non-original tender with the intention of eventually reuniting 3985 with is birthday tender.

Posted from Android



Date: 02/06/24 13:03
Re: 3985 completion
Author: HotWater

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Re: HotWater's
>
> Good,
> Score: 85 pts.
>
> Info request:  Make any difference as to which
> 6-axles to use, or to avoid?
>
> ​W.

Try to use units equipped with extended range DB, otherwise I know of no "restrictions" as to EMD or GE models.



Date: 02/06/24 13:57
Re: 3985 completion
Author: bankshotone

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3985 will probably be running before they figure
> out
> the blowing packing solution on 1309..
>
> Extra-Credit Question:
> How do you get the highest cylinder pressures, 
> to help seat new metallic, piston rod packing?
>
> ​W.
>
>
> ( If you're highly experienced, you get points
> taken-off....)
>
>  

I'm not an expert but from what I have learned from more knowledgeable people other than myself is a well maintained fire, get the fire brick glowing red (as it's working) a nice load behind you either tonnage, dynamic braking locomotives or equivalent and a nice up hill grade, once superheated steam is achieved the process is easier.
(Hopefully I remembered that correctly)



Date: 02/06/24 14:09
Re: 3985 completion
Author: Deal

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just my opinion but, I would think one of the
> biggest parts of the "3985 project" is the work to
> completely rebuild & convert the tender from 4014,
> from coal to oil fuel. Then, the original tender
> from 3985 will be returned from Cheyenne, where it
> has been coupled/used to 4014.

What is the rational reasing behind this logistical effort?  Are both 4014 and 3985 tenders the same?  If they are the same, why not fly the same sign painter to both shops and apply the correct cab number to each tender?  Isn't that what a railroad Roundhouse Foreman would have done in the days of steam in regular service?



Date: 02/06/24 14:16
Re: 3985 completion
Author: bankshotone

Deal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the rational reasing behind this
> logistical effort?  Are both 4014 and 3985
> tenders the same? 
No, there is a 1000 gallon water capacity difference. Big Boy tender holds 24000 gallons and challenger holds 25000 gallons.



Date: 02/06/24 16:41
Re: 3985 completion
Author: wpjones

None of my books show a 24000 gal tender for 4000's. The 3900 and 4000 tenders were the same when built. The reassoning behind rebuilding the 4014 tender for oil is to build a full width oil tank similar to the 800 tenders that required removing the curved part at the top of the sides to install the oil tank. The 3900 oil tanks were the same width as the opening in the top of the coal space and just dropped in after putting wood spacers on both sides. I believe the 3985's oil tank holds 6500 gals and a full with tank adds a significant amount to the capacity. Don't know what they are doing about added weight.
Steve

ankshotone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Deal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What is the rational reasing behind this
> > logistical effort?  Are both 4014 and 3985
> > tenders the same? 
> No, there is a 1000 gallon water capacity
> difference. Big Boy tender holds 24000 gallons
> and challenger holds 25000 gallons.



Date: 02/06/24 17:06
Re: 3985 completion
Author: bankshotone

wpjones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> None of my books show a 24000 gal tender for
> 4000's. The 3900 and 4000 tenders were the same
> when built. The reassoning behind rebuilding the
> 4014 tender for oil is to build a full width oil
> tank similar to the 800 tenders that required
> removing the curved part at the top of the sides
> to install the oil tank. The 3900 oil tanks were
> the same width as the opening in the top of the
> coal space and just dropped in after putting wood
> spacers on both sides. I believe the 3985's oil
> tank holds 6500 gals and a full with tank adds a
> significant amount to the capacity. Don't know
> what they are doing about added weight.
> Steve
>

Yes and no.
The first series of 4000's (4000-4019) used the 24-C-103 tenders with a 24000 gallon capacity.

The second series of 4000's (4020-4024) used the 25-C-103 tenders with a 25000 gallon capacity. Same size as the 3900's.

So in a nutshell the 3985s tender is 25000 gallons water capacity and the 4014s tender (originally 4015's tender) is 24000 gallon water capacity.

Source:
"A history of union pacific steam" compiled by Gordon McCulloh

"Big Boy" by William Kratville

"The challenger locomotives " by William Kratville



Date: 02/06/24 17:50
Re: 3985 completion
Author: CO1309

Thanks to wcamp for derailing the thread with nonsense. And with not one answer to my question, I'll just guess mid 2025 since no one else has any idea or desire to answer.

Posted from Android



Current Page:1 of 3


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.069 seconds