Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Steam & Excursion > 614 in Ho-ho-kus

Date: 02/06/24 08:22
614 in Ho-ho-kus
Author: rbenko

As I'm sure most of you know, C&O Greenbrier #614 hauled excursions from Hoboken, NJ to Port Jervis, NY over the old Erie mainline on certain weekends in the years 1996-98.  As Ross Roland and others have stated many times, these were really glorious trips - large train (over 20 cars), some open cars, NO diesel assist, and mainline (79mph) speed.  

Back in June 1997, I ventured up to Ho-ho-kus, NJ (yes, the hyphens are actually in the name) in order to photograph the "Erie Limited".  The overcast skies made the location that I chose feasible - if the sun were out, I would have been shooting against it.  Here for your viewing pleasure are two views from just north of the Hollywood Ave grade crossing (MP 22.4).  I couldn't decide which focal length I like better, so I posted both (what do you think?).  I'm not sure what the track speed limit was here, but as you can see from the smoke trail, the Greenbrier was moving right along!!  Thanks again Ross & Co. for some glorious memories!

Thanks for viewing.

Rob Benkovitz
West Palm Beach, FL

Date: 02/06/24 11:26
Re: 614 in Ho-ho-kus
Author: ClubCar

Both are great but I like the second photo the best.  Thanks for sharing with all of us.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/06/24 12:11
Author: co614

Great photos, thanks for sharing. On the Port Jervis trips it was mostly river grade ( 0.25-0.75 % ) ascending westbound and downgrade coming back. 614 was allowed track speed ( 79mph) and ran it consistently eastbound. Westbound with a 20-24 car long train she was able to achieve 55-60 mph consistently. 

They were trips where the 614 was doing exactly what Lima built her to do and she did it in style. 

Ross Rowland 

Date: 02/06/24 15:50
Author: njfrn

I remember being so dismayed by all those hermetically sealed NJT coaches in the consist that I never rode any of those trips, and only made the effort to see the train go by once or twice, even though I lived within earshot of the Erie at the time. Of course I regret that now. Live and learn. I'm enjoying these pics from one of my old haunts. 

Date: 02/06/24 17:34
Author: stevelv

Very cool.  I remember 759 blasting through there as a kid,  Ho-ho-kus looks a little different when Dad used to take us there in EL days when we were kids. There were 4 tracks and I remember the commuter trains pulled by E units and Geeps.  They weren't too interesting to me at my young age.  I always wanted to see freights and remember every fan there got excited when the BN run through power came though.  Nice shots and good memories.
Brother DB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/24 17:47 by stevelv.

Date: 02/06/24 19:03
Author: mdogg

njfrn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember being so dismayed by all those
> hermetically sealed NJT coaches in the consist
> that I never rode any of those trips, and only
> made the effort to see the train go by once or
> twice, even though I lived within earshot of the
> Erie at the time. Of course I regret that now.
> Live and learn. I'm enjoying these pics from one
> of my old haunts. 

Um, why didn't you ride in the open cars? They were FANTASTIC.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/06/24 19:21
Author: dbrcnw

Thanks for posting the photos.

Friends from Allentown, PA joined us for the trip up to Port Jervis where we saw one of the trips and remain in "awe" of the event.

Our visit was a part of a trip to visit those friends and were simply "icing on the cake" part of the visit. We had come all the way from Eastern Ohio for the visit and the train part was spectacular. Memory fails me on the town name where the train(s) turned but I want to say Port Jarvis.

DaleR

Date: 02/06/24 21:09
Author: pt199

White walls and rods down!

Date: 02/06/24 21:53
Author: weather

That picture warms my heart!@

Date: 02/07/24 03:39
Author: ALCO630

Hard to believe those trips were nearly 30 years ago. Thank you Ross for the memories.

Posted from iPhone

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 02/07/24 08:28
Author: NYC_L4a

I may well may have been on that very train. I spent so much time at the open vestibule window the only part of my skin not covered in coal soot was the area covered by my goggles. I had such a blast.

I like that photo location: Signal bridge spanning 3 tracks of what was once a 4 track main. I believe that location was at the south end of "Collin's Curve" too.

Date: 02/07/24 17:20
Author: WauhopM

Best excursions ever 80MPH top speed open vestibule coaches the cinder car and I won a cab ride in the locomotive it does not get any better than that!

Date: 02/07/24 18:51
Author: rbenko

WauhopM Wrote:
> Best excursions ever 80MPH top speed open
> vestibule coaches the cinder car and I won a cab
> ride in the locomotive it does not get any better
> than that!

That's awesome!!  Must've been a blast!

Date: 02/09/24 05:41
Author: austin

Each year in 1996, 97 and 1998 Ross Have open window and open air car up front behind the crew car for the Full Sound and Fury experience.  Those were hands down the best trips next to the New River Gorge trips we had with 765. Hope RR is able to get 614 to a new home and restored to operation status in the near future. Thank you Mr. Rowland for all the great  memories . JR

Date: 02/09/24 06:01
Author: BKLJ611

austin Wrote:
> Each year in 1996, 97 and 1998 Ross Have open
> window and open air car up front behind the crew
> car for the Full Sound and Fury experience. 
> Those were hands down the best trips next to the
> New River Gorge trips we had with 765. Hope RR is
> able to get 614 to a new home and restored to
> operation status in the near future. Thank you Mr.
> Rowland for all the great  memories . JR

I really enjoyed the one trip I took behind 614 in New Jersey. There was a mechanical issue on our trip and the backup NJT diesels brought us back into Hoboken. I still have a photo of myself and a very soot covered Ross in front of 614 on the platform in Hoboken.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/09/24 09:30
Author: co614

Want to thank Rob for giving us permission to post his outstanding photo on the 614's official site ( www.co614.com) where it will make a nice addition to the action photos of 614 doing her thing.

Best regards, Ross Rowland 

Date: 02/09/24 11:42
Author: NYC_L4a

The first class cars were pleasant ( I especially liked riding in 'Mountain View' ) and on some trips they served breakfast in the diner as we were going through the NJ meadowlands. On the return back, because only the power was turned, first class was on the head end for some quality vestibuling climbing the grade out of Port Jervis...accelerating yet.

Date: 02/09/24 18:34
Author: UP951West

mdogg Wrote:
> njfrn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I remember being so dismayed by all those
> > hermetically sealed NJT coaches in the consist
> > that I never rode any of those trips, and only
> > made the effort to see the train go by once or
> > twice, even though I lived within earshot of
> the
> > Erie at the time. Of course I regret that now.
> > Live and learn. I'm enjoying these pics from
> one
> > of my old haunts. 
>
> Um, why didn't you ride in the open cars? They
> were FANTASTIC.
>
Yes, especially the "jail car" with concrete rebar over the open windows. I loved it . Loved my ride behind 614 , Ross ! Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds