Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Steam & Excursion > Rare Mileage Trip Set on R&N

Date: 02/10/24 11:30
Rare Mileage Trip Set on R&N
Author: pt199

Among the excursions being offered on the Reading & Northern this year is a rare-mileage Rail Diesel Car excursion to Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania, the northwestern end of R&N’s system.
The excursion will operate on April 20 and is being sponsored by the Lehigh Valley Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society and the Railroad Historians of the Lehigh Valley.

The all-day, 104-mile trip will cover part of the former Reading Company’s Philadelphia-Williamsport, Pennsylvania, main line.
The special will operate with Budd-built  RDC-3 No. 9166 and RDC-1s Nos. 9167-9168.
The train will follow R&N’s main line from Port Clinton via Tamaqua to East Mahanoy Junction.

There, it will divert onto the Mahanoy & Shamokin Branch through Mahanoy City, Ashland, and Mount Carmel to operating point NORA, the end of R&N ownership.
Photo stops are planned . Departure from Port Clinton will be 9 a.m. with an expected return at 6 p.m.
Tickets are $119 and include a choice of ham, turkey, or Italian hoagie sandwich. Checks should be made out to Lehigh Valley Chapter NRHS and mailed to Kermit Geary Jr., 1266 Riverview Drive, Walnutport, PA 18088. From the akronrrblog 

Date: 02/10/24 12:04
Re: Rare Mileage Trip Set on R&N
Author: wabash2800

I suppose there would not be any turning facilties for steam?

Victor Baird

Date: 02/10/24 14:27
Author: RuleG

Here's an on-line order form:

https://www.lehighlines.org/events.html

Additional details about the excursion route can be found in the Trains.com newswire article:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/rare-mileage-trip-to-mount-carmel-pa-slated-on-reading-northern

Date: 02/11/24 04:28
Author: ShortlinesUSA

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suppose there would not be any turning facilties
> for steam?
>
> Victor Baird

There are not. This is a true rare-mileage run; It is 10 MPH running past Girardville. The average member of the public's eyes would be glazed over about halfway through the trip and asking if there was a way to get off and be taken back to Port Clinton. ;-p

I suspect this run will sell out very quickly. Plenty of interest in those miles by mileage collectors and local fans who want to ride that line.

Mike Derrick

Posted from Android

Date: 02/13/24 18:27
Author: SantaFeCF7

ShortlinesUSA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I suspect this run will sell out very quickly.
> Plenty of interest in those miles by mileage
> collectors and local fans who want to ride that
> line.
>
> Mike Derrick
>
> Posted from Android

It's already sold out and I just got the email a few days ago from them about it. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds