Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Steam & Excursion > Three for "Throwback Thursday."

Date: 03/28/24 11:19
Three for "Throwback Thursday."
Author: tehachcond

Here's three of  Cajon Pass helpers from the Nolan Black collection.  Back then, it was apparent to all in the rail fan community that steam was on its way out.  Some left the hobby forever, unable to adjust to the idea of "those Damned growlers.'

1.  A westbound Santa Fe is sstopping to cut off its point helper at Summit in this undated shot.  The coach was chartered by the Railroad Boosters.  It was placed on the rear of the eastbound #6, the UP mail train, and shoved into the spur for the day.  I'm assuming it was picked up by westbound mail train #5.  Must have been a left-handed backwards move picking that car up, since that spur only has one switch.

2,  A westbound light helper is starting the descent of Cajon Pass returning to San Bernardino.  Just west of Summit in 1951.

3.  I got my first cab ride on thisengine.  Dad talked a helper engineer into letting us ride on the engine as they went around the wye after helping an eastbound.  Big stuff for a 7 yesr old kid!  June, 1951.

Thanks for looking, and as always, comments welcome.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO.

Date: 03/28/24 11:53
Re: Three for "Throwback Thursday."
Author: ClubCar

Thanks for posting and sharing all your old photos of the Union Pacific, they are all great.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 03/28/24 13:08
Author: refarkas

Wonderful!!!
Bob

Date: 03/28/24 15:32
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable series!

Larry

Date: 03/28/24 17:22
Author: BlaineM

As a 85 year fan of Union Pacific I will add my comments, those are wonderful.  Thank you.
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 03/29/24 10:15
Author: jkh2cpu

I believe that second photo shows a 4-10-2 that had lost its third cylinder and was running a normal two cylinder locomotive.

That third shot is of a sister to 5511 that is being rebuilt at RRHMA.  This loco has young value gear.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0375 seconds