Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Cadiz Idiot

Date: 08/27/02 20:32
The Cadiz Idiot
Author: vlyjct

You know who you are. If you need a second opinion just look in the nearest mirrow. I\'m certain that the people in the car w/you were very humiliated and ashamed to be w/you and to know you.

T & I had just pulled a Japanese visitor from the sand pit when you, this planet\'s #1 moron, drove right smack into the very same sand pit not more than 60 seconds later @ a high rate of speed as though you were going to pass through it w/out any problem, wrong.

It was & still is our wish that you were buried so deep that you couldn\'t open your doors & that your exhaust system was also buried beneath the sand. I know that if you had a cell phone you couldn\'t get a signal other than for 911 & being witness to your actions I have every confidence that to your warped mind this was an emergency. What a waste for any public safety person to have to deal w/your elke. Hopefully your passengers were able to roll down the windows and exit the vehicle.

T & I both agreed that you created your problem, you deal w/it. Also the ACR crew was not about to help you as they to looked in amazement @ your stupidity.

There is zero explanation for your complete and total moronic actions.

Please do the railfan community a favor and never again pollute an event w/your presence.

You obviously were born w/a defective gene that retarded your intellecual developement.

Date: 08/28/02 12:29
Ahhhhh........What?
Author: BoilerWash

O.K. I know I wasn\'t there, but that probably would have been something to watch. But what the heck are you talking about???

Date: 08/28/02 13:01
Re: Ahhhhh........What?
Author: atsf5704

The roads on the south side of the BNSF main at Cadiz are all dirt and have some nasty sand (dust) pits in them. Naturally there were several people in cars whipping around on the roads like they were on the highway and finding the pits. The A&C crew pulled out one car by the BNSF tracks. At least four others went flying to the pit only to slam on the brakes and come out in reverse as fast as they went in.

Others, foaming at full throttle, created huge clouds of dust to coat the cameras of those who were there already.

The excessive foaming was all a waste of time as 3751 stopped at the grade crossing for servicing and there were already quite a few people waiting by the old water tank - too many to be alone, but too few to impact each other\'s view.

Then, there were the traps in the dirt just outside Parker at the final run-by on Sunday that snagged six vehicles (according one victim), including some very famous railfans. A local tow truck charged them $100 each to pull them out.

Date: 08/28/02 14:06
Author: RustedFlange

Hehe, I just had to laugh seeing people stuck.

I heard a rumor that some railfan was involved in some sort of collision east of Parker on Sunday?

Date: 08/28/02 14:51

Didn\'t see any. But given the <insert your favorite obscenity here> foamers in the 4 miles of chasers anything was possible. Those who charged on out passing in the no passing zones were just wonderful as were those who passed into the lead, pulled back into the normal lane and slammed on the brakes to pace. I\'m sure the four or so semis in the pack really loved that. Of course, why the truckers didn\'t have the brains to pull off and let the horde go by I don\'t know.

But the award for the dumbest piece of **** on the face of the earth was the white Dodge Ram pick up and his pass on the right, then on the left across a double yellow line. If you read this, F You!

Date: 08/28/02 15:15
Author: BrianJennison

Gosh it sounds like we all had such fun! Sorry I missed it! :-) The chase eastbound on 66 was civilized in comparison...

Date: 08/28/02 15:23
A Civilized Chase
Author: HuskerHank

Out here in Durango I "chased" the Eureka on my bike. Speeds were quite reasonable, and as it was on the bike path, no traffic to contend with beyond somebody walking his dog. Got a great close in view of the gears & rods working. Makes me glad to be here insted of there.

Date: 08/28/02 16:12
We want names!!!!
Author: Inlinebob

Come, on! Out with the names!

;-)

> Then, there were the traps in the dirt just outside Parker at
> the final run-by on Sunday that snagged six vehicles (according
> one victim), including some very famous railfans. A local tow
> truck charged them $100 each to pull them out.
>
> [%sig%]

Date: 08/28/02 18:23
Author: rustedflange

"Didn\'t see any. But given the <insert your favorite obscenity here> foamers in the 4 miles of chasers anything was possible. Those who charged on out passing in the no passing zones were just wonderful as were those who passed into the lead, pulled back into the normal lane and slammed on the brakes to pace. I\'m sure the four or so semis in the pack really loved that. Of course, why the truckers didn\'t have the brains to pull off and let the horde go by I don\'t know."

LOL! I know what you mean. We were toward the back of the line, behind two trucks. Saw plenty of brake smoke. Even if one were to pull off and let the traffic go, you would\'ve caught up to everyone anyway! It was nuts. Good thing I took a picture of the parade for comedy\'s sake.

Date: 08/28/02 19:19
Mathie surprise
Author: px320

View from the Pony Express Yes this is out of focus- don\'t want to show faces you know. Question is, did he get the shot?

Date: 08/28/02 22:04
Re: Mathie surprise
Author: nycman

Yeah, that was a mess. Reminded me of chasing in CA. I told my grandson "There\'s Clyde up there saying \'I got my pictures, don\'t care about them other folks behind me\' in my best Jeff Foxworthy voice." We got lucky by shedding all of them and stopping for badly needed gas at Wenden, only to discover that was a runby site. I\'d like to personally hurt the guy in the little green mini SUV who was the leader of the pack.

Date: 08/28/02 22:29
Re: The Cadiz Idiot
Author: billywa

I\'m sooooo glad to see that idiots who think they\'re important enough to forget about safe driving aren\'t limited to storm chasing!

billywa

Date: 08/29/02 06:16
Re: We want names!!!!

Can\'t name names as they were too nice at two photo spots in California on Monday. All I can say is that some came from the east and some from the midwest, they had very high end video and photo gear, and you may get to read about their adventures in a magazine in a few months (no, not that one and not where you\'d expect it to be).
They actually got stuck trying to help others get out. We just let the Parker police know that there were people stuck and she called in the tow.

Date: 08/29/02 11:00
Author: cw60ac

Oh please !! Give me a break.
Haven\'t you all learned by now that fantrips bring these sort of folks out in droves. Many years ago, I learned to expect this type of behavior to surround any type of fantrip, with the NRHS convention being a prime example. Don\'t get me wrong... I\'m certainly not trying to condone this sort of behavior. I\'m simply saying that if you plan to chase a steam fantrip, you must expect that you\'ll encounter these types of people. If you can\'t deal with it, then perhaps you need to stay home.
In case you\'re wondering, I\'m not one of the people mentioned in these rants. I have\'nt been to an NRHS convention since the mid 80s. I\'d much rather go to a place like Cadiz on a different day and shoot BNSF all day without seeing another railfan.

Date: 08/29/02 11:36
Author: PennEngineer

Nice to see so many complaints from chasers and so many accolades from PAYING riders.

Date: 08/29/02 12:34

Of course, those types are out there at every chase. As a society, we do not tolerate drunk drivers. Law enforcement gets lots of calls about drunks and when convicted, few judges show any leniency when it comes to a sentence. Should we tolerate reckless behavior because of excess foaming?
The chase line was long, moving fairly fast, and tightly packed, one idiot could have piled up a hundred cars in a chain-reaction collision.
Also in Arizona, there were plenty of non-foamers on the road. It would look great on TV if a pass in a no passing zone slaughtered a family on the way home from the river.
Finally, I did ride the train to and from the Grand Canyon. But since the most interesting spots on the return trip (the Peavine, Ash Hill, and the backside of Cajon) were all on the BNSF and I had word that there would be no run-bys on the BNSF (and no vestibule riding but that changed), the choice was to chase. The chase from Cadiz to Cajon was much better behaved and far less dangerous.

Date: 08/29/02 20:39
Author: ddiggler

Yeah I saw that a-hole in the with pickup. He pulled out in front of us and acted like we were in the wrong screaming obsenitites and acting like a maniac passing cars with his emergency lights on. I\'ll second that f-you.

> But the award for the dumbest piece of **** on the face of
> the earth was the white Dodge Ram pick up and his pass on the
> right, then on the left across a double yellow line. If you
> read this, F You!
>
> [%sig%]

Date: 08/30/02 10:49
Author: roberthedgecock

The question I always ask when I see these kinds of Aholes is where the hell is the CHP? Not just a ticket but jail for reckless endangerment followed by a state prison sentence

Date: 08/30/02 11:49
Author: cajonsub

Hmmm. I was at the Cadiz tank on Monday. I saw the sedan get stuck and then pulled out by the Arizona & California m/w guys. Others almost got stuck there as well. Can\'t say it was anything to get angry about. If you don\'t know which roads to avoid, it could happen to you as well.

I share CW60ac\'s views on this subject. You can expect a certain percentage of the crowd to be wreckless. Just learn to drive defensively and let the crazies move ahead. My approach is to hang back from the pack. I was rewarded several times by this approach on Monday. After the crowd left Cadiz, I stayed to watch the ATSF local and was surprised to see an ACR train that was following the 3751 from Parker. Got some great photos of these green and white units.

As it turned out the 3751 stayed in the Cadiz Siding for about half an hour, so I was able to get in position east of Siberia without breaking the speed limit. Got some excellent shots of the train climbing the grade there.

After the parade of cars passed Siberia on the 2-lane road, I fell in behind. The train followed some curves out of view from the highway and then came back to the highway right beside me! I was paralelling the train while the rest of the crowd got ahead of me.

This continued until the grade crossing east of Ludlow, when the train got ahead of me. I decided to get an ice cream at the Dairy Queen in Ludlow rather than try to fight the crowd.

When I got on I-40 W, the train was well ahead of me, but the on the scanner the crew kept calling out yellow signals. I caught the train again just east of Barstow.

It was a great day of railfanning. Can\'t wait to do it again.

Date: 08/31/02 20:34
Author: alexandercasset

Not to defend anyone driving overtly reckless, but how many of you speed on a regular basis? True, I have broken the speed limit not a few times during train chases, but no more so than I would do normally. I know what my car is, and how it handles, and it can safely tolerate much more than most cars, making it a "fraction" more safe than similar excursions by others. In the words of the song "Hot Rod Lincoln",
It\'s got a 4-barrel carb and dual exhausts,
4:11 gears that really get lost -
Safety tubes and I\'m not scared,
The brakes are good and the tires are fair."
Just my 2 cents, though overtly recklass behavior, i agree, is intolerable, Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.098 seconds