Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Steam & Excursion > D&S Last Fall From Jensen's Camera

Date: 04/06/24 12:00
D&S Last Fall From Jensen's Camera
Author: MaryMcPherson

When I was considering upgrading to a more recent model Canon DSLR, I asked Kurt if he'd want to give one I already had a good home.  Silly question, right?  So it was that he had my old Rebel XS on our trip last fall.  He pulled it out on a few occasions in addition to video work.  While a lot of folks are into colorizing older images, I like to give a more vintage feel by converting some shots to black & white.

1. On our first chase of the D&S, we did not realize how much of a jump we would get on the train from the overlook at the college in Durango.  We passed the train around Trimble Crossing and at Hermosa, Kurt grabbed the still camera as we didn't think there was enough time to set up a video shot while I parked the van.  Well, it turned out there was plenty and I handled the video after parking.  This shot was the result of what we thought would be a quick grab-shot.

2. From an overlook along the highway into Silverton, a train is headed back to Durango as another waits to pull off the wye.

3. We took our time getting to Silverton that first day, figuring that once we got the third train of the morning at Hermosa we wouldn't get ahead of them again.  Surprise!  We headed down the gravel road outside of town to see what the view was along the Animas River, and after a few minutes I noticed smoke in the distance.  I got sound while Kurt got a video camera up and grabbed the still camera as well.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 04/06/24 12:05
Re: D&S Last Fall From Jensen's Camera
Author: MaryMcPherson

4. After the first two trains of the day approaching Silverton the next day, we headed into town and caught #482 on the wye between runs.

5. The following day, we lucked into a work train with #480 doing the honors.  In this scene, #480 is pulling her train off the wye at Hermosa after coming up from Durango light.

6. That evening, #480 has her train easing down the grade after passing under the highway overpass.

After that trip, we both could have died happy.  Of course, we blew that opportunity as we are still here.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 04/06/24 12:43
Author: refarkas

Excellent - The choice of black and white gives these an historic "photographic time travel" feeling.
Bob

Date: 04/06/24 17:51
Author: cozephyr

Mary, thanks for sharing your good fortune with the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad last year.

Date: 04/07/24 09:26
Author: Keystone_Ed

Thanks for sharing Mary.  Just curious - are those triple  hopper cars formerly off the East Broad Top?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds