Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Steam & Excursion > Wood burners in action

Date: 04/11/24 10:15
Wood burners in action
Author: masterphots

First, I know this is Paraguay but it's wood burning steam so thought I'd give it a bit more exposure on this board.  In October 1991 I joined my first ever Trains Unlimited Tour,  a three week bash around a bit of Chile, mostly Argentina and the last four days in Paraguay.  The latter country's railroad was still using their original British built wood burning steam engines,  complete with capped stacks.  What's not to like?  We took the overnight train from Buenos Aires,  with sleepers and our own dining car.  We arrived at Posadas, Argentina early morning and bussed across the Rio Parana to Encarnacion, Paraguay.  From there we boarded our charter train for the two day trip to the capital of Asuncion.  What an adventure wandering through the humid countryside at a near walking pace.  Now and then a minor fire from loco sparks would break out on a car roof but the crew quickly put it out.  Then there was the fan riding the tender wood pile who's hair caught fire.  A couple of whacks with a big rag took care of that.

The railroad was officially the Ferrocarril Paraguay Carlos Lopez.  The only engines they ever had was the fleet of wood burners.  Most of it is long gone as the south end is now under the reservoir behind huge Itube hydro-electric dam.  A short segment south out of Asuncion has offered weekend tourist rides but  I don't know if this still exists.  Last I heard, the station complex is still there, complete with a few locos in the yard.

A great trip and life changing for me.  We flew back to Santiago and on the flight to Miami that night I met Lolo.  Who knew and we recently celebrated our 31st anniversary.  Never know what life has in store.

Now for some photos, all taken October 20-23, 1991.

1.  Encarnacion engine shed/yard area
2.  Early morning leaving Encaracion behind 2-6-0 #59.
3.  At km 222 taking water and wood.  The pumphouse took water from the stream below

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/24 10:34 by masterphots.

Date: 04/11/24 10:17
Re: Wood burners in action

4.  Our engine at Isla Saca.  Note roller bearings on tender trucks
5.   Water stop at Carmen
6.  Photo run at Iturbe

Date: 04/11/24 10:22

7-9,  The main shops were at Sapucai.  A true museum of British machinery.  The steam engine that powered it had one of those spinning governors on top.  These photos aren't the best as I didn't have a tripod, not to mention ASA25 film.  Out back were all sorts of dumped engines,  parts and who knows what.  They probably never got rid of anything.

Date: 04/11/24 10:29

10.  At Sapucai, we changed engines, to 2-6-0 #151.  Here's our train at Escobar station
11.  You sure the track is still here?    Leaving Tebicuary
12.  At Aregua, we met the afternoon freight behind #152.  Note the ship container being hauled by a wood burning steam engine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/24 10:35 by masterphots.

Date: 04/11/24 10:31

13.  No 152 at Aregua
14-15.  The morning passenger train leaving Asuncion behind No. 235

Date: 04/11/24 11:56
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. Awesome. That's like stepping back in time. What did the burning wood smell like? Was it pleasant? About when were the steam locos built? The "other" horses (the mare and the colt) in the first photo add a nice touch.

Victor Baird

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/24 12:05 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/11/24 11:59
Author: callum_out

1991 is like a 100 years ago but still modern to many of us (who remember the Rio Grande in steam) but those wood burners
even make the Cuban sugar look modern. Geez, did you ask for a current Form 4 before boarding?

Out 

Date: 04/11/24 12:19

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing. Awesome. That's like stepping
> back in time. What did the burning wood smell
> like? Was it pleasant? About when were the steam
> locos built? The "other" horses (the mare and the
> colt) in the first photo add a nice touch.
>
> Victor Baird

Don't recall any smell, but nothing unpleasant anywhere along the line.  Locos built ca 1910 if I recall correctly

Date: 04/11/24 12:46
Author: refarkas

An "A+" set of photos!
Bob

Date: 04/11/24 12:55
Author: wp1801

Interesting, thanks.

Date: 04/11/24 12:55
Author: miralomarail

Wow so when did The Hooterville Canonball go   " Modern " with Roller Bearing trucks ?  And I sure hope that the flatcar with the container on it Isn't the one that used to turn over on the curve and dump lumber so Uncle Joe could build the Shady Rest hotel in  " Hooterville "

I used Freeze watch The Steam Locos at the Steel mill in Illinois .

Date: 04/11/24 13:54
Author: Tominde

Fantastic photo essay  The shops look like EBT.   When you fire a wood burner do you throw in 1 log at a time or can you throw ultiple logs with 1 pitch?

My only expeience seeing wood burners was Wm Mason at B&O Museum  I always felt they should hang a rack of ribs in the smokebox for a rolling BBQ.

Date: 04/11/24 15:14
Author: RuleG

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 14-15.  The morning passenger train leaving Asuncion behind No. 235

I really like the 14th photo showing the train passing by the tavern with the Pilsen sign.  Pilsen is the oldest beer brand in Paraguay.

Date: 04/11/24 20:18
Author: wabash2800

How about some Hickory to get some great aroma too?

Victor Baird

Tominde Wrote:

I always felt they should hang a
> rack of ribs in the smokebox for a rolling BBQ.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/12/24 08:59
Author: RNP47

Very interesting series. Thanks for posting!

Date: 04/15/24 22:49
Author: atsf121

Man that looks fun, wish I had been able to do a trip like that.  Saw the old steam engines inside the shops outside Guayaquil, Ecuador about that time, but never saw them run unfortunately.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0933 seconds