Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sad news from Roanoke - RIP Trainmaster... aka; Bob Lyndall

Date: 04/18/24 16:35
Sad news from Roanoke - RIP Trainmaster... aka; Bob Lyndall
Author: Mgoldman

It has come to my attention that Bob Lyndall, aka; The Trainmaster, also known
as "ClassicLights" here on Trainorders has passed away early this month in April of 2024.

My information comes from a post on FB verified by a few sources - updates and
more info welcome, as are condolences.  Ailments seem to have removed Bob from
the public eye - though I'm sure many will remember him as a kind and friendly
fellow who gained fame and popularity as the official (as I understand) photographer
of N&W's 611 locomotive in the earlier excursion years - along with many other
locomotives, notably, C&O #614.  You may recall his early "drone" images, well before
the existence of drones, taken from rented helicopters.

I first "met" Bob via Railpicutres.net and was blown away by his work, initially in New York featuring Ross's C&O 614.  Every shot was one I had to go and get.  I did not
know Bob like a best friend, but we corresponded via e-mail, and later by phone, and
eventually in person.  Learning of his ailments that severely limited his presence in the
public eye, I asked Pete Lerro of Lerro Photography if he'd be willing to offer a free
ticket to our photoshoot at the Virginia Museum of Transportation.  No convincing
was necessary - it was an immediate "of course!” Though Pete had not met Bob, he
knew his work, and his predicament.  The benefit of shooting digital was not to be
missed and I was happy to lend Bob my Canon 5D.  Eventually even my
old tower computer made it to Bob to later process those images.  Bob had many friends that offered
services, kindness... a car, even.  He must have been loved.  His last residence was in 
Roanoke, those that know him, know the location.  Lol - I remember a request granted to bring him a cheese steak, once by mail, another time in person during a visit with
Dennis Livesey, myself and Joe Fusco where we joined Bob for a limited afternoon
611 chase.  Good times - I'm glad to have had that opportunity.

Sadly, he had removed a vast collection of images he had on RP.  I see but a few pics on FLKR, and some can be found here on TO's under "ClassicLights".  A
few remain on FB.  Hopefully his collection can be found, collected and preserved,
though note -  Bob did have a tendency to alter some images - I don't think he liked
water tanks, lol.

RIP Bob   

/Mitch

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/24 00:35 by Mgoldman.

Date: 04/18/24 16:55
Re: Sad news from Roanoke - RIP Trainmaster... aka; Bob Lyndall
Author: wcamp1472

When 611 was active in northern Virginia, on NS, in the 1990s, is where I met 
met Bob and got to appreciate his photography.  
Especially his favorite picture of the J!  He had a good eye for composition.

We had lunch together a couple of times when I traveled through Roanoke.
He will be missed

W. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/24 17:01 by wcamp1472.

Date: 04/18/24 18:04
Author: co614

Bob was as prolific as he was talented. His vast library of 614 was second to none and I believe has been passed on to atrusted friend who will see that it ends up where it will have a future. I hope that proves to be the case as many of the images are truly outstanding.

I knew Bob also as a friend and will miss his great humor. RIP .  Ross Rowland 

Date: 04/18/24 19:58
Author: K8DTI

I am so sorry to hear this. I met Bob a few times and he was a delightful soul and a very talented photographer.

Date: 04/20/24 12:40
Author: austin

I as well have been a good friend of Bob as we also called "Uncle Bob" over the past almost 4 decades I have personally know Bob. We first met on the trips in 1993 with 765 re lettered and renumbered to 2765 in her operating season as a C&O Locomotive.Trips began the season up in Michigan and followed by Akron to Pittsburgh and then onto Cincinnati and other points and finally ending the season in the New river Gorge. When we met he was living in Michigan and this is where we became friends. Also out in New Jersey a few of us 765 guys ventured out to see Ross and the 614 run some absolutely wonderful trips between Hoboken and Pt. Jervis, NY. We hung out with Bob while in Pt. Jervis during the layovers as well as had great conversations and lunch several times together. Bob's photography abilities were unique and very amazing. The one image from Moodna Viaduct from a Helicopter (old school drones) for us older folks was the way to capture some dramatic images and Bob did that very professionally. We also kept in touch as he moved from Michigan down to the Roanoke, Va area and met up again when his beloved 611 was operating trips back in 2017 in and out of Roanoke. Bob we hope you have all Clear Green signals and knowing now you will be able to be the best "Trainmaster Bob" we all grew to know and love.
You will be missed Bob, Rest in Peace..
Jeff R

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.062 seconds