Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Steam & Excursion > WP Challenger #404, Date and Location unknown

Date: 04/20/24 19:31
WP Challenger #404, Date and Location unknown
Author: RailRat

This Photo was given to me by Bob Larson, along with about 15 other WP steam photos, what a cool Hogger!, I met him about 1992 or so at Winnemucca Depot. He saw me with Video Camera as he came off a train, as we talked I mentioned my interest in WP, He told me WP had some Challengers just like the 3985 that was coming through soon, and he included this photo along with about 25 others he gave me about a month after we talked, (I was always there at Winnemucca depot filming during work downtime). I was quite suprised he gave me so many, he said "Oh these are throw aways" . I posted all of them here on TO a few years ago. Many of the photos of WP Steam had notes on the back of them, Exept for this one. could be possibly Salt Lake, Wendover or Elko? I have learned these WP Challengers were mainly used on the Salt Lake to Elko portion of WP(?) but not many photos exist due to relatively short service and "remote" locations, at the time.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/24 07:42 by RailRat.

Date: 04/20/24 20:36
Re: WP Challenger #404, Date and Location unknown
Author: dan

Interesting the grande and the WP kept them close to SLC, wonder if they ever consulted UP fellows if they had questions or needed parts?   Ed Dickens was going to letter the 3985 for the grande and do an excursion across , not sure I recalled he could have done the same thing on the WP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/24 00:17 by dan.

Date: 04/20/24 21:22
Author: Elesco

I think the WP Challengers were limited in how far west they could go because they were coal-burners, and the infrastructure for coal didn't exist further west.  And west of Elko to the California border, the grades were very moderate, not requiring the power of Challengers in either direction.

Date: 04/21/24 06:57
Author: swaool

Going to go with Wendover as the location, based solely on the appearance of the sand tower (if that's what it is) in the background, compared to this photo:
https://www.facebook.com/WPRRM/posts/from-the-frrs-archives-wp-2-8-2-314-works-the-wendover-ut-yard-repositioning-dee/3769173693145949/

mike woodruff
north platte ne

Date: 04/21/24 07:58

For those interested, here's a link to the rest of WP Steam photos Bob Larson gave me in 1992, it took 26 years (2018) before I had the means to scan and share them.

https://www.trainorders.com/images2/index.php?category=0&search=RailRat+WP+Steam&author=1&title=1

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 04/22/24 07:47

swaool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Going to go with Wendover as the location, based
> solely on the appearance of the sand tower (if
> that's what it is) in the background, compared to
> this photo:
> https://www.facebook.com/WPRRM/posts/from-the-frrs
> -archives-wp-2-8-2-314-works-the-wendover-ut-yard-
> repositioning-dee/3769173693145949/
>
> mike woodruff
> north platte ne

Yes Agreed and Thank you.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 04/28/24 13:12
Author: atsf121

Neat stuff Jim.  Wonder how much money it would take to get the 3985 to do a cameo for the DRGW & WP, and maybe get 4449 for the WP as well.  We can dream, can't we?

Nathan

Date: 04/29/24 06:46

atsf121 Wrote:
> Neat stuff Jim.  Wonder how much money it would
> take to get the 3985 to do a cameo for the DRGW &
> WP, and maybe get 4449 for the WP as well.  We
> can dream, can't we?
>
> Nathan

I was thinking the same thing back then about 3985 on the Salt Lake to Elko section of that trip, and then on return trip also.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 04/29/24 07:09

RailRat Wrote:
> atsf121 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Neat stuff Jim.  Wonder how much money it
> would
> > take to get the 3985 to do a cameo for the DRGW
> &
> > WP, and maybe get 4449 for the WP as well.  We
> > can dream, can't we?
> >
> > Nathan
>
> I was thinking the same thing back then about 3985
> on the Salt Lake to Elko section of that trip, and
> then on return trip also.

Here's a screen shot from my early morning prep in Winnemucca video 1992

I propped up my WP placard on the back of my work pickup tailgate, adjusted the composition, and "just supposed"

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds