Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Steam & Excursion > Pennsylvania Railroad K4 Pacific Steam Engines

Date: 04/24/24 01:50
Pennsylvania Railroad K4 Pacific Steam Engines
Author: ClubCar

Again, I'm sorry for upsetting all of you with my remarks about building a brand new T-1.  My real problem is that I wish that this money was being spent to restore for operation one of the two K4 Pacific Steam Locomotives that still exist.  As a boy growing up in the 1950's, the Pennsylvania Railroad operated a whole fleet of these magnificent locomotives, and like so many other enthusiasts, I was impressed seeing some of them in action.  I know that one of these engines, number 1361, is going to be completely rebuilt for operations.  I'm hoping that this will happen within the next few years.  Meanwhile, I honestly wish the group working on the building of a massive T-1 locomotive all the best.  It is your money and you all certainly can do what you please with your money.  I will say no more other than I am sorry my remarks have upset you.  Good Luck.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/24/24 06:27
Re: Pennsylvania Railroad K4 Pacific Steam Engines
Author: Frisco1522

John, I believe that the 1361 is in good hands and will be a success.
Publicity has been minimal and most likely to avoid all the free advice and questions.
As for a choice of engines, I don't have a dog in the hunt but a NYC standard Hudson would have been a great choice.  Had I won that billion + lottery that's where a piece of it would have gone.
There are many long gone engines that I wish had been saved.  MIssouri Pacific 2201 class 4-8-4 or 5320 4-8-2 or even their 6001 poppet valve 4-6-2.  And that's just one road.
Everyone would have their preference and who knows what the future would bring. 
I just noticed that I posted this here instead of on the T-1 thread.  Damn I'm old...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/24 14:22 by Frisco1522.

Date: 04/24/24 09:28
Author: callum_out

I still wonder how a K4 made steam, there's so much steel in the roof area that there's not much
room for water! Funny about memories vs desires to see run, case in point the SP 4294 AC-12.
It would be great to see a cab forward running but memories are that the things were so smokey
that the locomotive and the operators would be run out of town for poluting the environment!
Ah memories!

Out 

Date: 04/24/24 10:48
Author: wingomann

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Again, I'm sorry for upsetting all of you with my
> remarks about building a brand new T-1.  
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Looking at the other post it doesn't seem like there was that many people upset with your remark.  I agree with you.  I don't have a problem of the T1 trust building their locomotive, but it does seem like a big expensive project with questionable use when complete.  It is interesting to see them do the project because it proves that anything made by man can be remade by man.  It gives hope when you see a basket case locomotive sitting in a park that it's possible to remake missing or rusted parts and get it operational again.  The Pacific Locomotive Assn was given a locomotive that was missing critical valve linkage components.  It was thought that it couldn't be restored but one of the guys working on the rebuild (Alan Seigwarth) is a mechanical engineer and he re-engineered and had the missing parts made.  The locomotive has been in regular service for years on the Niles Canyon Railway thanks to Alan not seeing the missing pieces as a show stopper.

Seeing Stathi make a new tender tank for the NP 924 was pretty cool too.  NP 924 Rebuild Update!!!!!! (trainorders.com)  How many park loco's have tenders that look like swiss cheese.  Seeing a new tank being made using original riveting techniques was impressive.  A new tank could have been made by welding but Stathi went the extra mile to keep the locomotive historic.  

What it really comes down to is a steam locomotive, just like a car or airplane, is a collection of individual parts put together to make a complete assembly.  The difficult thing is that parts that need replacement are not available anywhere.  So it requires individual ingenuity to recreate the parts that are needed.  To me the T1 trust is showing that it is possible to recreate all the parts necessary to make a locomotive and by doing so is helping people learn skills and techniques that can be applied on lots of other projects.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/24 10:59 by wingomann.

Date: 04/24/24 19:13
Author: mdogg

ClubCar Wrote:
> Again, I'm sorry for upsetting all of you with my
> remarks about building a brand new T-1.  My real
> problem is that I wish that this money was being
> spent to restore for operation one of the two K4
> Pacific Steam Locomotives that still exist.  As a
> boy growing up in the 1950's, the Pennsylvania
> Railroad operated a whole fleet of these
> magnificent locomotives, and like so many other
> enthusiasts, I was impressed seeing some of them
> in action.  I know that one of these engines,
> number 1361, is going to be completely rebuilt for
> operations.  I'm hoping that this will happen
> within the next few years.  Meanwhile, I honestly
> wish the group working on the building of a
> massive T-1 locomotive all the best.  It is your
> money and you all certainly can do what you please
> with your money.  I will say no more other than I
> am sorry my remarks have upset you.  Good Luck.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

You might want to look online for updates on 1361. She's in GREAT hands and will run again.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/25/24 13:33
Author: wabash2800

The Brits have made operating replicas of lost steam locomotives from scratch, not just once, but more than once. We live in the richest country in the world and with just our can-do attitude we ought to be able to do that too. Of course, as with many others here, my candidate for resurrection would be the New York Central Hudson. But more power to the T-1 Trust.

I'm sure it will find some place to operate, but I don't think anyone would take on the liabilty of letting it operate at a very high speed on their railroad--inlucing Amtrak. But I'd love to be proved wrong.

Victor Baird

Date: 04/26/24 15:46
Author: needles_sub

Where will it run is the question I always ask. NKP 765 and PM 1225 seem to operating on a regular basis as well as former the Reading 4-8-4. Grand Canyon Railway also.
But 3751,2926&,261 among others don't seem to get out much under their own power, other than short trips.
Where is the T1 going to operate to break a speed record, when it more than likely only make a few short test runs and most likely just be displayed or hidden away on a storage track somewhere, like many other restorations.
Railroads in England have a different mindset and I think railfan's aren't foamers putting themselves in harms way, the way they do in the US. 4014's travels show me people's ability to think is impaired at the sight of a steam engine.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/24 18:20 by needles_sub.

Date: 04/26/24 17:42
Author: wcamp1472

"Formers" ?

​How about Foamers ?

W.

Date: 04/26/24 18:22
Author: needles_sub

wcamp1472 Wrote:
> "Formers" ?
>
> ​How about Foamers ?
>
> ​W.
>
>  

Misspelled yes, yet you knew what I meant. I corrected it by the way.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/27/24 10:28

Sure but isn't a "former" a pissed off "foamer"? Like someone who was "formerly" a "foamer"
but now has changed because the 4014 isn't coming to his state/town/etc, for example. 

Out 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/24 10:59 by callum_out.

Date: 04/27/24 11:05
Author: RBMN-ENGR

K4s

Chris Bost
Leesport, PA

Date: 04/27/24 11:09

I think that once you're a Foamer, you're always a Foamer.
I think that the foamer still stays inside-you.

Former Foamers, still perk-up when they hear what sounds like 
whistle or a rare air-horn.

Once infected, you're a foamer for life!
There's no known cure.

W.

Date: 04/27/24 12:10

Yah but they're all over 70 and hard of hearing!

Out 

Date: 04/27/24 14:24

Speak Up!
What'd ya' say?
( don't mumble!) 

W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/24 14:26 by wcamp1472.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0664 seconds