Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Steam & Excursion > 2816 in WI (just barely)

Date: 05/05/24 15:42
2816 in WI (just barely)
Author: xrds72

In my last day here following 2816, my friend Mike and I went to LaCrosse to catch its run over the Black River Bridge (which just celebrated its 20th birthday last month). We met with Jim Matuska (rrartist) at the Bainbridge St crossing on French Island (MP 282.4) just at the west end of the Black River Bridge. I was wanting to try to do a "Then and Now" with a couple photos I found in the Soo Line Building's basement when I worked there that was taken in May 1942 of another EB 4-6-4 with a passenger train heading into LaCrosse. 

Photo 1, Then (photographer unknown. If any knows who it is, please advise) 5-7-24 edit: Jim (rrartist) just advised that the original photographer is Ken Zurn. Thanks Jim!

Photo 2, Now, converted to B&W (my photo)

In the Now photo, the right most span is an original one as in the first photo. The other spans in the Now photo were installed as part of the Bascule Span that replaced the Swing Span.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/24 11:06 by xrds72.

Date: 05/05/24 15:51
Re: 2816 in WI (just barely)

Photo 3, Then, May 1942 (photographer unknown)

Photo 4, Now, converted to B&W (my photo)

A comparison of the tail ends. Which do you like better?

The end of the train in the Then photo is about where the right side of the Bascule is in the Now photo

Date: 05/05/24 15:58

Here are the color versions of my photos in the previous messages, plus one more for fun.

Let's hope we have lots more coverage on the rest of the trip down and back. It may be missing a few axles for the hard core steam crowd, but they don't call her the Empress for nothing.

Date: 05/05/24 17:26
Author: refarkas

Excellent set of photos.
Bob

Date: 05/05/24 17:50
Author: agentatascadero

Regards your tail end comparison request......one train has a nice observation car.  The other train displays a butcher job taken to a once nice looking passenger car.  Oh, I do see the utility of theater cars....from the inside, but they are painful, to me, to look at from the outside.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/06/24 10:22
Author: hawkinsun

Thanks for the photos.  I like the fact that the Canadian Pacific is running this train, but I have to admit, I like both ends of the Hiawatha better.  I sure would like the Hiawatha pictures in color too, but not that many around in the 1940s.  

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 05/07/24 04:20
Author: rrartist

You captured the train perfectly, although a bit more smoke would have been alright by me! Nice meeting you! and your friend! Safe travels home!

Jim

Date: 05/07/24 09:21
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable series!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds