Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Steam & Excursion > ? for MargaretSPfan

Date: 11/27/02 07:03
? for MargaretSPfan
Author: grande473

I have a copy of Running Steam Locomtoves Volumne II which has a segment on the 2472. It featured three men including two retired Southern Pacific engineers. They are, like the rest of us, getting older. Are these men still in the program?

Date: 11/27/02 08:29
Re: ? for MargaretSPfan re: "Running Steam Locomot
Author: MargaretSPfan

"grande473":

When the SP 2472 first ran in the modern era, in April of 1991, our crew was two SP Coast Division steam-era men: Neil Vodden, engineer, and John Teshara, fireman. John is still with us, but, sad to say, Neil succumbed to cancer in April of 1997. We all miss Neil. He was a hell of an engineer, and a great person - with quite a sense of humor.

My TV and VCR have been "bad order" for several years now, and I have not looked at that video for a while, so I do not remember who the other gentleman you are referring to is. I will look at that video at my mother\'s tomorrow, and see who that other man is, and will post another reply to this when I figure out who he is.

Our main hoghead now, since Neil\'s passing, is Bill Stetler, a young man who is an excellent engineer. Bill also has hogged the 4449 and the 3751.

Date: 11/27/02 08:42
Author: grande473

I am sorry to hear of Neil\'s passing. My wife said he reminded me of her dad. I think the third man\'s name was Sloan or something. He was the hostler.
Thanks for giving me the information and may all of you in your area have a happy Thanksgiving.

Date: 11/27/02 09:26
Author: MargaretSPfan

"grande473":

I kinda thought that the third fellow was Ron Sloan, but I was not sure. As a young man, Ron was a Spokane, Portland & Seattle steam-era fireman for 8 months. Hmmm....he should have visited the 700 & asked if he could fire her some time!

Ron retired from his full-time job as a professional photographer, and moved out of the area a few years ago. We miss him; he is a really nice fellow.

Thanks for the kind words. Your father-in-law must have been quite a man for Neil to remind you of him!

The 2472 will be lit off on Thanksgiving Day, in preparation for her first trip, a short public excursion to Redwood City on Saturday, November 30. My Turkey Day obligations are such that I will be able to be around the 72 that day for a while. :)

I also wish you and yours a wonderful holiday season.

Long live STEAM - in the 21st century! :)

Margaret

grande473 wrote:

> I am sorry to hear of Neil\'s passing. My wife said he
> reminded me of her dad. I think the third man\'s name was Sloan
> or something. He was the hostler.
> Thanks for giving me the information and may all of you in
> your area have a happy Thanksgiving.
>
> [%sig%]

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds