Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Steam & Excursion > Has 3985 arrived in Cheyenne yet?

Date: 02/12/04 15:04
Has 3985 arrived in Cheyenne yet?
Author: arkansasrailroader

Just curious if the 3985 arrived back in Cheyenne yet (it's 5 pm cst as I write this). If so, is everyone happy to be home? - Ken Z

Date: 02/12/04 16:47
Re: Has 3985 arrived in Cheyenne yet?
Author: UPRRPR

They kept the engine hot in North Platte last night, but the sub-zero weather froze a cylinder cock open anyway and it took them a long time to get it thawed out this morning. They left North Platte at noon, four hours late for Cheyenne. The crew was very tired and very cold. Lot's of muttering about winter weather (never again).

Date: 02/12/04 17:52
Author: tolland

Well, John, some might call it muttering. Some might say it was a little more like something else. :-)

The Sherman Hill is safely tucked into it's stall in the Cheyenne Roundhouse and when I left, Steve was backing the 3985 back into it's stall in the shop. This was about 5:30 PM this evening.

Thanks to all who took the time to see the steamer in the southlands.

Best,
Jim Burrill

Date: 02/12/04 20:29
Author: arkansasrailroader

Thanks for the update. Having worked for the National Weather Service 32 years, it had originally looked like the very cold air would make it farther south than it did into Arkansas and Texas last month, but it has stayed north of Arkansas all winter (the coldest we've been here in the Little Rock area this year was 19 above and so far only got a couple of snow flurry days). We were lucky indeed that it wasn't in the zero to 10 degree range while the 3985 was in the area.

Thanks to all in the steam program for putting on quite a show for us all. I attended a chapter meeting of the American Meteorological Society tonight here and 3 of the attendees asked about the steam engine! You ARE affecting more than just railfans.

Ken Ziegenbein

Date: 02/14/04 07:14
Author: tolland

Ken, thanks for stopping in the Sherman Hill car and I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you. This was a whirlwind trip, something happening every minute.

Best,
Jim Burrill

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0325 seconds