Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sierra Railroad Steam question

Date: 09/24/04 20:39
Sierra Railroad Steam question
Author: pastortom

How many steam engines that have operated on the Sierra are still around, and where are they at? Jamestown has the 2,3,28, & 34, and I believe the 38 is in pieces in McCloud, CA. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Date: 09/24/04 20:46
Re: Sierra Railroad Steam question
Author: Nitehostler

30, the little 2-6-2 (now a 2-6-2T) belongs to Pacific Locomotive Assn. & is stored on the Niles Canyon Ry.
36, the big Alco 2-8-2 operated in Arizona & Utah on different lines & is stored now, I think maybe in Nevada.
12, an older 3T Shay, was later sold to nearby Pickering Lbr. Corp. She also belongs to PLA & is stored @ Shinn near Niles, CA.
34, 28 & 3 are still at Jamestown. Remnants of 2-8-0 18 I think are maybe in Sacramento.

Date: 09/24/04 21:18
Author: JDLX

The boiler and frame of the #38 are still in McCloud. The tender was moved to Merrill, OR in late 2002/early 2003.

I think the #36 is also in Merrill.

The #18 spent many years tucked inside the old Champion International truck shop in McCloud, sans tender. It was also moved to Merrill three or four years ago.

JDLX
Elko, NV

Date: 09/24/04 21:24
Author: SierraRail

D&R 4-4-0 #8, now at NSRM in Carson City, operated on Sierra Railroad for four years (1978-1982) as Sierra #8.

Date: 09/24/04 21:36
Author: OnTrackEd

Here's what I've got:

#2-This is NOT a true Sierra engine! It was built by Lima in 1922 for the Hutchinson Lumber Company...it's one of the famous Feather River Shays. When the line quit, it was working with sister #3 (now at the Cass Scenic; as #11; hard to recognize as a coal burner with Cass stack!). It operated at what is generally referred to as the San Diego Railroad Museum in Campo, CA near the Mexican border. I believe #2 was running this season...? If so, that would mean both FRR Shays (well, with the exception of #1 in the park in Oroville) would be operating. The #3 last ran in the early 90s I believe before retired to the yard, and ultimately sold to Cass. Shame to see it leave California.

#3-Ripped down to the frame for a rebuild which the CSRM is looking to raise funds to complete. It's been a long time since she's ran (1998, or 99?). I'd love to see Hollywood find a use for it and pay the foundation the money to get it restored and running for the movie. If you recall, the "William Mason" (Baltimore & Ohio) was not operational for decades and it was restored by SRC to operating condition for "Wild Wild West". Why can't this happen with #3?? A fine whistle too...one of my favorites.

#12 and #30-#12 would be the oldest surviving 3-truck Shay in the country; last operated in 1986 at Vancouver's SteamExpo. Check out my site for pictures (link below). Used on the Angel's Brancn, until a light 2-6-2 was ordered to serve that line (#30). #30 was sold to the Howard Terminal Railway and became a 2-6-2T...tank engine! The #12 was sold to Pickering, in Standard not far from the Jamestown headquarters of the Sierra (...in the day). The Pacific Locomotive Association, based at Niles Canyon (near Fremont) owns both of these locomotives. #30 (at the time, Howard Terminal #6 and Castro Point Ry. #6) operated between 1969 and 1972 I believe; and it was put back to display status. Work was begun (and you'll definitely notice if you see it today) to restore it back to #30. The saddle tanks were trashed and an ex-Rayonier tender was acquired in exchange for the ex-Santa Maria Valley RR tender which the #30 used as an auxiliary tender due to the fact that it had problems holding enough fuel for operation on the Castro Point Railway. The #12 made its debut in 1984 and was completely restored; it didn't run for long. #30 is stored at Brightside (Niles Canyon Railway (PLA)'s maintenance facility and yard). #12 is stored along the UP mainline at Peralta and Shinn Streets in Fremont. It will soon move to Niles Canyon (or...shall I say...Brightside).

#18-Yes, the #18's remains survive. They are owned by Fred Kepner of Merrill, Oregon.

#28-Operational and though it undergoes maintenence regularly, it's usually in service.

#34-34 is not owned by the CSRM or the Sierra Railway. It is owned by Fred Kepner, who also owns the #18, 36, and 38. Luckilly, #34 has remained 'mothballed' in the Jamestown roundhouse instead of being left in a field along with the other engines. Some of the Kepner equipment is for sale; no Sierra stuff though.

#36-Ran at the White Mountain Scenic Railroad in Arizona along with Santa Maria Valley Railroad #100; 1960s and 70s I believe. The #100 went to the Heber Valley Railroad in Utah (aka "Heber Creeper") and ran there for a time. It's also in Fred Kepner's collection I believe. Check out this site I found via a Google search; note some errors (example: the Skunk isn't in Eureka at all! http://www.air-and-space.com/Locomotives.htm)

#38-This is, again, owned by Fred Kepner but kept near McCloud, CA. Very, very sad shape. It was, I believe, the last steam acquired by the Sierra as the guy in charge at that time was more familiar with and preferred steam locomotives. I don't know the fellow's name off-hand but he saved steam on the Sierra for a few more years; in terms of revenue service. Afterwards, #38 went back up to the tall timbers of Washington to work fro Rayonier. It, however, kept the number 38 (it was originally #4 at Weyerhauser). It's in sad shape; its boiler has been taken off the frame with the cab still on it and all. Very sad.

#30; I talked about that above

In terms of likely candidates to operation; #34 is in by far the best shape I believe. The #30 was being restored previously to the acquisition of Robert Dollar #3 by the PLA, or at least it was talked about. #36 is in the next best shape; the 18 and 36 are basket cases.

I got on to Trainorders to post a steam picture as the last many have been all deezuls! So here we go...

Sierra #30 as Castro Point Railway #6; a 2-6-2T.

-Ed Kelley

Date: 09/24/04 21:39
Another View...
Author: OnTrackEd

Here's another shot: you'll find more of #12 and #30/#6 at:

http://www.bjwrr.com/ontrack/

Go to the articles and our Fall Webzine has a feature on the PLA which owns both locomotives.

-Ed Kelley

Date: 09/26/04 12:28
Re: Another View...
Author: BaldwinS-12

Sierra #3 last operated under steam on May 10, 1996, at Jamestown.

Date: 10/02/04 07:02
Author: Nitehostler

regarding the color photo of 2-6-2T 6...I seem to remember this as being a postcard that was done a long time ago. If I remember right, that's Dan Ranger in the cab.
I do feel that 36 could be fixed about as easily as 34, both need boiler work though. 34 also needs tires.

Date: 10/03/04 16:41
Re: Sierra Railroad #18
Author: Westbound

I always wondered what finally happened to old Sierra #18, but now I know. The only time I ever saw her was during my first visit to the Sierra roundhouse in 1958. At that time she was setting outside in Jamestown, looking like a derelict, minus her tender, which was nowhere in sight. As a teenager I was overwhelmed by other sights at the roundhouse, so I never bothered to photograph the #18.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0871 seconds