Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Steam & Excursion > WMSR to end trips to Frostburg after this season

Date: 02/19/05 09:43
WMSR to end trips to Frostburg after this season
Author: mjbobb

The front page of todays Cumberland,MD newspaper had an article stating that this could be the last year that the WMSR runs the whole way to Frostburg due to funding. Sounds to me like they may just run half way to maybe Helmstetters curve and back. Dont really know for sure if the trail people have anything to do with this or not.

Date: 02/19/05 11:19
Re: WMSR to end trips to Frostburg after this season
Author: CNWJAG

The tracks are already gone west of Woodcock Hollow. The reason for the announcement is because the powers that be have decided that the money to be spent on rebuilding the railroad could be used to finish the entire trail instead. I'd say this is going to be the end of the WMSR all together. No chance for photographs because the tracks are already gone.

--jag

Date: 02/19/05 13:35
Author: TrackOne

The tracks will be relaid to switch number 9 to allow one more season of full operation. After 2005 the line will be abandoned from City Junction in Cumberland to Frostburg. Only a strong oppostion from the public and all affected businesses can stop it.

Date: 02/19/05 14:12
Re:who do we complain to?
Author: holiwood

anybody know names and address of powers that need to hear from us?
2/20/05 I sent Governor Robert Ehrlich a nice Email asking what was going on with WMSR. just go to State of Maryland, then Governor, then contact.

Date: 02/19/05 14:35
Author: butch.g

From the Cumberland, MD Time-News website:

Scenic railroad to discontinue Frostburg run
Officials exploring options to continue excursions to alternate locations

By Sam Shawver, Times-News Staff Writer
Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:18 AM EST

CUMBERLAND - Better get on board if you're planning a trip to Frostburg on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. After 17 years the historic train will make its final run from Cumberland to the Frostburg depot in December.

"We should emphasize that the train will continue to run, but this will be the final season that it travels all the way to Frostburg," said Barbara Buehl, director of the Allegany County Chamber of Commerce.

"We're still planning for runs after this season, and we're already looking at alternate options for the following year," added Jim Stafford, president of the scenic railroad board.

Buehl and Stafford were among 14 local and state officials who met at the county complex Friday to discuss issues facing the railroad and Allegheny Highlands Trail project.

During the meeting it was decided that the cost of continuing train rides to Frostburg would be too prohibitive in light of the fact that 2006 is the last year the state will subsidize maintenance costs for the scenic railroad. Per an agreement with the county, Maryland is funding $225,000 this year, and will provide a final $112,000 in 2006.

But cutting the Frostburg run could cost the scenic railroad another $25,000 in hotel and motel taxes that the city has contributed for the past few years.

"The railroad board has requested that money again this year. The mayor and council took the request at Thursday's city meeting, pending the outcome of Friday's meeting between the county and state," said John Kirby, Frostburg city administrator.

"But the issue won't be considered until next month's council meeting," he said. "The train has been very important to Frostburg in the past."

"This is truly going to have an impact on Frostburg, but we still want to keep Frostburg in the mix," said Stafford.

The railroad also receives $40,000 in hotel/motel tax funding from the city of Cumberland, and the board is expected to request another $170,000 from Allegany County next month.

There are other financial concerns, too, according to County Administrator Vance Ishler.

"Approximately $25 million could be needed to keep the train operational over the next five years," he said. "We currently lease facilities (including a turntable) in Ridgeley from CSX (Transportation). But CSX has had some offers on that property, and they could kick us out at any time, so the train would need a new 'home.'"

About $8 million of the estimated $25 million would go toward such a facility, and Buehl noted that City Junction near the intersection of North Mechanic Street and Henderson Avenue in Cumberland has been considered as a possible housing and maintenance location for the train.

Other needs could include a turntable for the locomotive, bridge and track upgrades and general railroad maintenance.

The county is also not interested in funding a venture that could fall through in the end.

"We don't want to spend a lot of money, then have to close the railroad in another two years," said Ishler.

On the bright side, eliminating the Frostburg run solves a big problem for construction of the Allegheny Highlands Trail, which parallels the scenic railroad between Frostburg and Cumberland. Discontinuing trains to Frostburg would prevent trail users and trains from having to share the 914-foot Brush Tunnel.

Getting around the tunnel problem would cut the estimated trail construction cost by nearly $3 million, and allow planning for the trail segment between Frostburg and Cumberland to continue on a more timely schedule.

In spite of projected spiraling costs and other hurdles, the local officials want to remain optimistic about the scenic railroad's future.

"We're giving up some options, but they're not saying that this is a 'train or trail' issue," said Stafford. "And with development of the highlands trail we'll be looking at how things will be different next year. We look at this as a chance to revamp the system and want to be part of tourism package that includes the trail, railroad and Canal Place."

Buehl said many options are being considered for the railroad and other tourist attractions. She said a new transportation heritage initiative was announced by the state on Friday, which could potentially offer some opportunities for the railroad, as well as possible development of a heritage transportation museum in this area.

The closed session also included representatives from the Maryland Department of Transportation, state Department of Planning, Department of Natural Resources, and Maryland Department of Tourism.

Sam Shawver can be reached at sshawver@times-news.com.

Date: 02/19/05 15:41
Author: BillL

I'm sick. Physically sick, at the prospect of losing "my" railroad. Those of you who know me from the Carl Franz Photo Special trips over the years know that we have spent untold thousands of hours clearing right of way and organizing trips for many, many years. I have developed many great friendships with the WMSR staff as well as met many of you fellow posters over the years. It's been more than a labor of love for all of us with the Photo Special crew and although we felt the end could be near; to see it actually laid out leaves me gutted (as the British say).

We'll soldier on, run what we can this year (we've been in talks with the WMSR already) and wait and see with the rest of you how it all turns out.

It does amaze me that the rails to trails project could just shut down a profitable railroad (2 years running) but that's politics for you. The rail trail should have always gone down the C&P right of way but the NIMBY's put a quick stop to that so this wonderful piece of railroading must change forever instead.

Bill Larduskey, for the Carl Franz Photo Special Staff

Date: 02/19/05 18:02
Author: CNWJAG

I'm beginning to think that this idea wasn't some recent realization and probably had been in the works for a while. A friend and former employee of the WMSRR alluded to the trail possibly being the death blow to the railroad several years ago.

Locals in the Cumberland area believe that the trail is going to bring thousands of people into the city and countless tourist dollars. No one seems to remember the fact that we already have had a world class bike trail in town for 30 years....the C&O Canal Towpath. The towpath is a great asset to the city but on most days sees mostly traffic from local residents. How a trail that climbs a 1.75% grade for the first 20 miles out of town is going to be any different, I don't know.

--jag

Date: 02/20/05 12:45
Please write to save WMSR
Author: TrackOne

Places to vent your opinion:

Chamber of Commerce: info@alleganycountychamber.com

Cumberland Times: ctn@times-news.com

Thank you,
tom

Date: 02/21/05 18:10
Author: RFandPFan

CNWJAG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm beginning to think that this idea wasn't some
> recent realization and probably had been in the
> works for a while. A friend and former employee of
> the WMSRR alluded to the trail possibly being the
> death blow to the railroad several years ago.
>
> Locals in the Cumberland area believe that the
> trail is going to bring thousands of people into
> the city and countless tourist dollars. No one
> seems to remember the fact that we already have
> had a world class bike trail in town for 30
> years....the C&O Canal Towpath. The towpath is
> a great asset to the city but on most days sees
> mostly traffic from local residents. How a trail
> that climbs a 1.75% grade for the first 20 miles
> out of town is going to be any different, I don't
> know.
>
> --jag

Excellent point jag. I've ridden the WMSR often and during the summer there are always a lot of riders. I wonder how the number of "granola-eaters" hiking the trail will compare with the passenger loads! What a farce.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0743 seconds