Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Steam & Excursion > Operable lifetime for Steam

Date: 02/27/05 02:56
Operable lifetime for Steam
Author: crusader5619

Someday soon most steam engines in the United States will be at least 100 years old. What's the expectation, if any, that large locomotives such as MLW261, UP844, C&O814 and such could still be running during the middle of the 21st Century? [assuming funding can still be managed] How much issue is there with overall metal fatigue, boiler fatigue, serviceability [ie if the art of caring for an maintaining steam is forgotten or lost?]

Date: 02/27/05 16:03
Re: Operable lifetime for Steam
Author: MTMEngineer

Any part on a steam locomotive can be replaced - all it takes is money.

Date: 02/27/05 19:19
Author: nathan314

From the discussions I've had with various of the crew members with the UP Steam Crew, the equipment will last virtually forever if it's properly maintained and there are no serious wrecks. There are definitely parts that cannot be replaced, at least not easily, because the manufacturing capacity no longer exists, at least not in the US.

The real issue is going to be training the next generation of mechanics. The current generation learned from the old timers who had done it for real. Those guys are increasingly not around. Who the guys are who will carry the torch on and where they'll get the skills will be very interesting to watch.

Nathan Beauheim

Date: 02/28/05 02:16
Author: tucker

nathan314 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The real issue is going to be training the next
> generation of mechanics. The current generation
> learned from the old timers who had done it for
> real. Those guys are increasingly not around.
> Who the guys are who will carry the torch on and
> where they'll get the skills will be very
> interesting to watch.
>
> Nathan Beauheim

Anyone willing to pass the torch, I will gladly carry it for the my generation (the under 30 and over 20 crowd).

Date: 03/04/05 11:30
Author: mikel

I'm willing to carry the torch for the over 40, under 45 crowd.

I'm currently helping the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum:

http://www.psrm.org

put their #2353 10-wheeler 4-6-0

http://www.psrm.org/roster/steam/s-2353/index.html

cosmetically back together. We're just about done (few more cab controls - brake stand/connections, throttle and related, dyno, misc) and will probably put it on display late this spring. Much better to have a complete steamer for folks to see rather than a partially stripped boiler shell and pile of parts LOL. Then there's the ta$k of finding the $$$$ to repair a crack in the firebox and retube the boiler to bring it up to the latest FRA rules.

$ooooo, if anyone ha$ $ome $pare change, let me know !!

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds