Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Steam & Excursion > more eastern steam

Date: 03/07/05 01:21
more eastern steam
Author: choochoocharlie

Here I am in my earlier, formative years, studying a New Haven Pacific in my home town of Waterbury, Connecticut.

Date: 03/07/05 01:26
Re: more eastern steam

In this photo, my Mother is chatting with the engineer of Erie Railroad pacific #2715 stopped at Suffern, New York station.

Date: 03/07/05 01:30

A New Haven passenger train headed toward the Waterbury station. This photo was taken just north of the Waterbury engine facility which was at a higher level than this line coming into town. Pacific #1009 on what looks like a cold winter day.

Date: 03/07/05 01:37

Among my father's shots are quite a few photos of railroad employees either on or next to their locos or railroad equipment. This is Tony Coviello on one of New Haven's cranes, probably in the Waterbury roundhouse area......C.C.Chas.

Date: 03/07/05 05:54
Author: pwh

Great photos keep them coming, esp NYC. Do you have any on the Hudson Div? I grew up in the Poughkeepsie area and would love to see some NYC in the Mid-Hudson area.

Date: 03/07/05 06:21
Author: Nitehostler

Your dad was an accomplished photographer...these are just great...appreciate your sharing them here.

Date: 03/07/05 08:37
Really good
Author: jbwest

These are great pictures. Your father was a good photographer, and the "people" pictures have a true art quality to them. Your father had a good sense of composition, and must have been good at making people comfortable. The picture of you and the NH pacific is interesting. By cutting off the cab of the engine it is clearly a picture of YOU, and the engine is just a much bigger but interesting background.

John West

Date: 03/07/05 12:44
Re: Really good
Author: xtra1188w

I certainly concur with Nitehostler and JB West. Thank you for sure. I'm not at all familiar with the eastern stuff, but the New Haven and the Erie are exceptionally interesting railroads. The Erie could have been an honorary western railroad.

Con

Date: 03/07/05 14:15
Author: 1200v

More New Haven, more, please. Also more Erie or anything else your Dad took. Thanks for posting these great shots.

Date: 03/07/05 14:46
Author: Mgoldman

Simply fantastic!
Wow. I felt like I was there when I was looking at those pictures.
And great composition, as mentioned before - anyone of those could /rather should be framed.
Thanks for posting!

/Mitch

Date: 03/07/05 16:33
Author: BulletBob

A terrific set of photos. I call those "calendar shots" because they have the depth and
quality suitable for a calendar. Some current calendar people would do well to put down
their shovel and take some lessons from your Dad (I didn't buy one for 2005).
Thanks again.

Date: 03/09/05 02:00

Thank you all for your great comments and appreciation of my Father's photographic efforts. I look at these big negs and just have to marvel myself at some of these shots. Just great train crew photos and some very interesting train shots too. All of the photos are over 50 years old. Unfortunately some of the negs are basically unprintable because the emulsion and/or backing material has wrinkled and curled up. Even past Photoshop help.

Will be posting more of the shots as time goes on and I have time to scan them. 98% of the negs are still good and printable, thankfully. My Dad pretty much processed his own negatives as He had a basement setup for processing and printing them. I love working with these big negatives. I have even shot some 4X5 negs and transparencies using my Father's old Speed Graphic that he bought in about 1946. Will be posting some of them too, but in the Nostalgia and History Discussion as they are of Diesels. Thanks again for your comments... C.C.Chas.

Date: 02/16/17 04:54
Author: raytc1944

There are many great photos on T.O.  However, these are truly exceptional.

Date: 02/16/17 08:29
Author: raydrs

Thanks so much for these photos your dad took. How precious! Please post more if you can.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds