Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Steam & Excursion > "Sunset at Alvarado"

Date: 03/26/05 22:18
"Sunset at Alvarado"
Author: KeyRouteKen

SP 4-6-2 Pacific-type steam locomotive # 2467 on Train 1-421 at "ALVARADO", CA on 11-8-56..

Photo by Bob Searle..
Courtesy of "Marvin Maynard Collection"..

(Sorry photo is kind of dark!)

Date: 03/26/05 23:03
Re: "Sunset at Alvarado"
Author: PullmanPorter

Nice shot, Ken. A few years after the photo was taken Alvarado got together with a couple of surrounding communities and formed today's Union City. But the depot was never renamed. Here's a shot of it in 1971.

Date: 03/27/05 06:44
Author: Nitehostler

Another nice photo...if the date is correct, this one is kinda historic as it's taken about 3 weeks before the end of regular use of steam in freight service. Last use was of a 4200 (sorry, I don't have the slide in front of me) on the 28th of November as a helper east out of Niles on a beet train. She cut off at Altamont & ran light back west. Next day she ran light to Roseville & that was pretty much it. Believe it was either 4209 or 4211.
Again, a geat photo & rather historic.

Date: 03/28/05 18:55
Author: SLOtrainbum

Hey guys, I'm from Union City and went to middle school at Alvarado Middle School. I remember watching the cruds do work there for the Calavaras plant back in 95 and 96. I've seen a few other pictures of Alvarado station in the Four Ways West Coast Line book, but would love to see more of that area if you have them!

Thanks,

John in SLO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds