Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cass May 2005

Date: 06/13/05 22:52
Cass May 2005
Author: HoosierVirg

Thought I would post this note, it had been about five years since I had been at Cass for the railfan weekend and it was really nice to get back. It is ,IMHO, one of the nicest run railfan events. Hats off to the Mountain State Railroad and Logging Historical Association for the GREAT job they do. I got there a little early and was able to explore CSX from Alderson to White Sulphur Springs including the old coaling tower at Ronceverte. If you haven't gone to this event you are missing a fun time. Next year I shall return and share the experience with my six year old grandson, he loves the pictures I brought back. Have a good and safe day!

Date: 06/14/05 12:12
Re: Cass May 2005
Author: jsomerville

Cass is special. Not for the faint of heart or the city dweller. Miles from anywhere, no Denny's, Sullivan's or even a Sheraton in sight. But one of the few places I've seen triple headed steam trains. Heck, not even in China do you see that. Well, maybe the Old Patagonia Express (last November). That too is no place for the risk adverters. One never knows what just might happen, good and poor. Most should stay at home and watch TV, wait for videos to purchase or the stories for those who went "outside".

Oh, here's No. 2 with the log train at Cass on the super three day weekend.

Then again, if you live in Alaska (or some other such place) as I do perhaps one is a bit more adventurous and less than worried to take a risk. Heck, you can only look at bears and moose for so long.

Date: 06/14/05 18:57
Author: RuleG

jsomerville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cass is special. Not for the faint of heart or
> the city dweller.

What is this supposed to mean??? I live in the City of Pittsburgh and visited Cass one year and had a great time.

Miles from anywhere, no
> Denny's, Sullivan's or even a Sheraton in sight.
> But one of the few places I've seen triple headed
> steam trains.

I never have been to Denny's, nor do I know what Sullivan's is. As for hotel accommodations, when I came out for a CALS weekend, I stayed at the Snow Shoe, per the recommendation of the CALS organizers.

Heck, not even in China do you see
> that. Well, maybe the Old Patagonia Express (last
> November). That too is no place for the risk
> adverters. One never knows what just might
> happen, good and poor. Most should stay at home
> and watch TV, wait for videos to purchase or the
> stories for those who went "outside".
>
Yeah, it rained and was cold when I was out there, but I had a great time. I experienced rougher weather and driving conditions when I rode the Cumbres & Toltec last year in October.

Dave

Date: 06/14/05 19:20
Author: jsomerville

There are those who would grump if it got cold and could't find a chain restaurant. I was just noting the lack of them. (Sullivan's is a trendy steak house; Denny's can be consistently acceptable but not usually a restaurant you would seek out.)

I haven't stayed at Snowshoe but rather at a bed and breakfast in Green Bank and at the Red Carpet Inn in Bartow. And Meck's Home bakery just outside Cass has fine sandwichs. There are many places to stay and food readiyl avilable if you seek it out.

Also near Cass is the Durbin & Greenbrier with their operating Climax.

I really like West Virgina.

And yes, it can get interesting in southern Colorado.

Image is from Cumbres Pass on September 4, 2004.

Date: 06/17/05 15:31
Author: ohcr1551

We have been to Cass when there was snow on Bald Knob (9/30/94, and the wind up there is COLD!) We've also been there in drizzle, sunshine, and every shade of weather in between.

However, two weeks ago we spent five hours driving down there to miss the train by less than five minutes. (It should take four hours from here. We allowed an extra hour and still didn't have enough time to negotiate the morass of road work.) I approached a staff member who was chatting with some other fans. All I wanted to know was how to get up the road to take a few pictures and salvage something of the trip. The staff...well, to put it mildly, they didn't help and we won't be back.

Durbin, on the other hand, was great and worth the whole trip.

--Becky

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds