Home Open Account Help 183 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4th of July on the Niles Canyon Railway

Date: 07/16/05 13:47
4th of July on the Niles Canyon Railway
Author: Steam2k

Every year, the NCRy does something different on the 4th of July for its members. But this year, the members were allowed to bring family and friends along for the ride. This year, we ran a passenger train with the freshly restored exWP F7 918, a 7 car photo freight powered by our 2-6-2T exQuincy RR #2, and then another passenger train with our exSP Black Widow Duo, SD9 5472 and GP9 5623.
Here is WP 918 about to leave for the depot in Sunol with its train, and Quincy #2 waiting for the 918 to clear so it can assemble it's freight consist.

Date: 07/16/05 14:05
Re: 4th of July on the Niles Canyon Railway

After assembling its consist, the #2 proceeded down to the wye in Niles. Here is the QRR #2 on the south leg of the wye, waiting for the WP 918 to arrive with its load of passengers.

Date: 07/16/05 14:07

The WP 918 arrives with its train.

Date: 07/16/05 14:09

A nice shot with the nose of the WP 918 peaking between cars.

Date: 07/16/05 14:15

After the WP 918 and QRR#2 posed for a short photo shot, the QRR#2 backed up for a photo run-by. With the sharp curve and long train, the #2 put on a great show as she pulled off the south leg of the wye.

Date: 07/16/05 14:22

Later in the day, here is SP 5472 and 5623 with the passenger train by the shoe fly near Arroyo De Leguna bridge.

Date: 07/16/05 14:39

Before the QRR#2 and its train were spotted on the south leg of the wye, we rolled down to the end of track, and then pulled forward again so it could back into the south leg. Enjoy!

Date: 07/16/05 21:45
Author: TheButcherofBena

As I mentioned in a previous thread concerning the possibility of running "railfan photographers days" for the general public; I have to believe the more photos like these that you post, you will continue to generate interest in such events. Hopefully such events would generate revenue and new members. Thanks for posting; great pix!

Date: 07/16/05 23:20
Author: danf

Very nice. I regret not making the Niles part of the day...

Date: 07/17/05 13:39
Author: RuleG

Thanks for sharing these photos. Judging by the photos, you guys put on a nice show.

Dave

Date: 07/17/05 23:41
Author: espeeboy

geez, looks like I missed all the fun! There is always next time right? Hope we hear in advance from the "good sources" about the next big weekend run in the Canyon...

Date: 07/18/05 02:58
Author: danf

918 is supposed to do the next few Sunday runs - at least. I haven't been out there due to the heat. I'm afraid I'll melt or something... I'll be out there again soon though.
As for combination steam and 918/5623/5472 - who knows? I'd probably rough the heat for that. It's a good show...

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> geez, looks like I missed all the fun! There is
> always next time right? Hope we hear in advance
> from the "good sources" about the next big weekend
> run in the Canyon...

Date: 07/19/05 12:35
Author: wingomann

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> geez, looks like I missed all the fun! There is
> always next time right? Hope we hear in advance
> from the "good sources" about the next big weekend
> run in the Canyon...

Espeeboy - There will be more "next times". The best way to make sure you hear about these operations in advance is to join the PLA. In that way your dues will help support operations like these plus you have the opportunity to participate in the operations.

Date: 07/20/05 22:23
Author: OnTrackEd

The July 4 event was for PLA members only. I wish I could have attended myself, but I was busy working on another railroad that day. After all the hard work they put in to keep that railroad running (and for no pay nonetheless), they deserve a chance to foam a bit on their own.

With all the diesel foaming these days in the Bay Area and beyond, it's too bad such a spunky little teakettle and the guys keeping it going seem to be missed from the spotlight these days. It was little engines like these which really kept small town industrial America going and giving the big engines the goods to carry the long distances. Sempre Vapor!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds