Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Steam & Excursion > MRSR passengers get their money's worth today

Date: 08/22/05 22:33
MRSR passengers get their money's worth today
Author: Nitehostler

I was firing Alco 2-8-2T 17 today on the 3 regular runs between Elbe & Mineral Lake, WA. On our last trip, the shop crew had Heisler 91 back together & hot after some universal work. They met us near mile 51 @ the Murray Switch. After coupling ahead of us & making an air test, we doubleheaded to the Lake where most of the passengers wanted to see what the "new" locomotive was.
Luke offered for me to run back to Elbe, & after cutting off the 17, we took the train back with the different locomotive. The passengers loved it & several thanked us for the show.
Big difference in how the train handled. The rod engine & 3 car train want to scoot right along on the downhill trip back, but the geared loco has so much friction loss through the gear faces, that you have to work a little steam most of the way. Very few sets compared to running the rod engine.
A month ago when I was here on an earlier trip, you spent all day trying to keep ahead of 17, but after some front-end work, this loco steams very well & you can gain on her anywhere if need be.
Water & fuel consumption are down too.
Tom

Date: 08/23/05 08:37
Re: MRSR passengers get their money's worth today
Author: africansteam

Hey, Tom. If you get a chance, could you re-email (is that a word?) me Luke's mailing address. I inadvertantly deleted it, which is why I have not mailed the pix.

Thanks,
Jack

Date: 08/23/05 16:47
Author: poffcapt

Tom;

What was the engineer's name who used to run the Chehalis Western steam engine in the early 1990's? He also worked up there with you folks also. I used to have his business card, but there has been too much water under the keel since then and it (the business card) is missing. I wondered if he was still active. Thanks.

BLS

Date: 08/23/05 20:48

poffcapt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom;
>
> What was the engineer's name who used to run the
> Chehalis Western steam engine in the early 1990's?
> He also worked up there with you folks also. I
> used to have his business card, but there has been
> too much water under the keel since then and it
> (the business card) is missing. I wondered if he
> was still active. Thanks.
>
> BLS

Just a guess, but I'd assume that you might be talking about Harold Borovec. He is still active there...matter of fact, I rode the engine with him about 10 days ago. One of the nicest guys in this hobby of ours.
Tom

Date: 08/24/05 18:58
Author: TheButcherofBena

Mongo;Re Jack's thread, Ditto!

Date: 08/24/05 19:08

TheButcherofBena Wrote:
> Mongo;Re Jack's thread, Ditto!

I'll send it to you in a few minutes via Trainorders. Today was my last day here...ran the first two trips & did fairly decent. Am heading home tomorrow.
Had an absolutely great summer volunteering at Mt. Rainier Scenic RR. & would like to use this forum to thank all the "blue collars" that I worked with. Great bunch of people & several were able to show this old boomer a few new things about running steam.
Bob Harbison, thanks again for trading seats with me last Sunday.
If any of you have ever considered giving some time to a museum or tourist line, I can tell you that you will probably find it very satisfying.
Tom

Date: 08/25/05 12:29
Author: MRSR_Bob

> Bob Harbison, thanks again for trading seats with
> me last Sunday.

You're welcome. I was always grateful when I was
firing and the engineer would let me take a trip
or two, so I try and return the favor. Glad you
enjoyed it.

BTW, I had a meeting in Elbe on Tuesday AM, and
we finished up just about 11. So I caught a few
shots of the 91 on her first run of the day.

Date: 08/25/05 12:30

Heisler #91 Passing Park Junction, WA August 23rd 11 AM Run.

Date: 08/25/05 12:31

Heisler #91 Passing Park Junction, WA August 23rd 11 AM Run.

Date: 08/25/05 13:21
Author: poffcapt

Tom said:

"Just a guess, but I'd assume that you might be talking about Harold Borovec. He is still active there...matter of fact, I rode the engine with him about 10 days ago. One of the nicest guys in this hobby of ours. "

I believe you are right. You are also right on the money about him being one of the nicest guys in our hobby. He blends old time know how and charm with just the right amount of present day friendleness. He was most gracious the two times I rode with him. (It probably helped that I had a good looking woman in tow!)

Date: 08/26/05 22:45

MRSR_Bob Wrote:
> > Bob Harbison, thanks again for trading seats
> with
> > me last Sunday.
>
> You're welcome. I was always grateful when I was
> firing and the engineer would let me take a trip
> or two, so I try and return the favor. Glad you
> enjoyed it.
>
> BTW, I had a meeting in Elbe on Tuesday AM, and
> we finished up just about 11. So I caught a few
> shots of the 91 on her first run of the day.

I'll have to jokingly say that these nice pics of the 91 might end up being a bit rare. As you were taking them, I had stopped by the shop on a day off & then got asked to fire 2-8-2T 17. Luke was not happy with the loud pound that 91 had & she was substituted with 17 at Mineral Lake about a half hour after you photographed her. I ran 91 from the Lake back into the Shop. Phil walked alongside listening as we backed up in the shop area & we later put blocking under the engine & were able to get about 1/4" movement off of the shaft at the rear of the engine. This may be her trouble.
Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds