Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Nostalgia & History > Missouri Pacific Jenks Blue in Utah?

Date: 11/12/05 13:42
Missouri Pacific Jenks Blue in Utah?
Author: GrandeGold

In 1985, several Missouri Pacific GP38 units invaded Union Pacific territory in Utah. It was great to see and photograph lots of Jenks Blue paint for the first time.

This photo from July 1986 captures how much influence the MP-UP merger had on equipment at Provo, Utah. Even Missouri Pacific cabooses (both high and bay window styles) replaced what was left of the old UP hacks...

Date: 11/12/05 13:48
Meet at Lakota Junction

A pair of clean MP GP38's await their turn to head west on the Rio Grande at Lakota Junction. Pairs of these MP geeps took over the Salt Lake City to Provo local runs in the spring of 1985. Mopac geeps hauled lots of plate and coil steel out of Geneva Steel during that era on the Provo Local (SCPV-PVSC) and Provo Swicher...

Date: 11/12/05 14:00
The Sandy Local at Pallas

The Sandy Local would often sport a single MP GP38 for power between 1985-86. This train worked the old Provo Subdivision mainline between Salt Lake City and Draper, Utah. Here the MP 2020 East has seven cars of lumber from the Atwood Spur at Midvale. The train is passing the old Pallas sorting yard utilized by the UP back when the huge Murray smelters were active. By the 1980's, Pallas was a good place to store dead refrigerator cars.

This right of way and yard were completely redone in the late 1990's for light rail transit use. Where the MP 2020 passed my camera, today thousands of commuters ride Utah Transit Authority's "TRAX" light rail system to Salt Lake City and return to the southern suburbs...

Date: 11/12/05 14:06
Those Cooooool C36-7's

Union Pacific received 60 big new C36-7 units from GE in 1985. The units were painted in traditional UP colors with Missouri Pacific lettering on the long hoods.

On August 7, 1986, a trio of these GE's headed up Rio Grande coal train #734 from Provo to Skyline mine. This photo was taken about 1 mile east of the crossovers at Rio in the Red Narrows area of Spanish Fork Canyon...

Date: 11/12/05 14:11
Colton Junction and the Pleasant Valley Branch

I caught the trio of MP 9000's heading east off the Rio Grande mainline at Colton Junction. This branchline heads 18.5 miles along the Price River, Scofield Reservoir, and Mud Creek to the Valley Camp mine at Scofield and the Skyline Mine at Clear Creek. The bright aluminum hopper cars were new Trinity 100 ton units built for the Intermountain Power Project...

Date: 11/12/05 14:16
MP GP38's In Helper Service!

Easily the most impressive display of MP GP38 power I ever saw was on April 28, 1985. The trainmaster at Provo Yard decided to utilize the Provo Local's four GP38's to "point help" the Valmy coal loads north (railroad east) across Point of the Mountain to Salt Lake City.

These four GP38's sounded awesome in tandem with two UP SD40-2's and two SP SD40T-2's on the south slope of the pass between Cutler and Mount. This was a runby I will definitely never forget!

Thanks for taking the tour...

James

Date: 11/12/05 20:37
Re: MP GP38's In Helper Service!
Author: GPutz

James, great images. Several would have made good "Where'sit ?" posts. Gerry

Date: 11/14/05 15:23
Re: MP GP38's In Helper Service!
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Excellent series there Jim! Mo-Pac was my second favorite railroad (behind the Grande Gold of course) back in "the day" in the 1980's. I lived in Dallas for nine months when I was five when my dad had a temporary transfer from Denver. We lived a few miles away from a Mo-Pac line and I still remember seeing a few of them down there. I definitely love Jenks Blue! Hope I get a chance to shoot the Mo-Pac heritage unit one of these days. Only have the Katy on "film" so far.

Kevin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds