Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > Hillyard,WA before BN

Date: 01/13/06 14:20
Hillyard,WA before BN
Author: FT

It's june of '68. Time to shoot everything you can on the GN and SP&S. This was the big
shop on the north side of Spokane that served both roads. While the light poles were
a bit distracting, there was nice separation on the leads. Matt Herson was there on a good
day, and with a selection of EMD-GE and ALCo. Today all this is gone. The shops fell in
defference to the NP's Parkwater facility. The GN main was cut to the north. Green paint
came and went, and a shortline took over much of the branch that took off to Kettle Falls
and beyond. I visited here a year later, but didn't shoot much till '70 and on.

Keith A

Date: 01/13/06 14:45
Re: Hillyard,WA before BN
Author: M-420

OUTSTANDING

Date: 01/13/06 15:51
Author: TCnR

Geez, that was a pretty big show. All I saw was the empty lot.

Date: 01/13/06 15:59
Author: E-21

I have a bunch of crummy rosters from Hillyard on my website. It always seemed jammed full of stuff when I visited the yard. That photo you posted Keith, is pretty amazing. My wife's grandfather was the yardmaster at one time a long time ago.

http://w3.gorge.net/schwanz

Date: 01/13/06 16:26
Author: DutchDoor

WOW! That one took my breath away. How sad those days are gone.

Date: 01/13/06 16:44
Author: TCnR

E-21 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a bunch of crummy rosters from Hillyard on
> my website. It always seemed jammed full of stuff
> when I visited the yard. That photo you posted
> Keith, is pretty amazing. My wife's grandfather
> was the yardmaster at one time a long time ago.
>
> http://w3.gorge.net/schwanz
>
>

Any word on what happened to those passenger cars in the 70's catagory? Chief Little Mountain doesn't look in very good shape. Don't rememeber seeing one of those Budd 10-6 corrugated side sleepers in Milwaukee before either. Maybe one of the Amtrak SD40F derailments??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds