Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Nostalgia & History > Araz Jct Question

Date: 01/18/06 08:47
Araz Jct Question
Author: skeeter4810

On the way home from Yuma today I noticed an Imperial Grain Train tied down in the siding at Araz. This is a westbound so the head end was about 250 feet from the signal. I noticed there was only one signal. Where did Araz Jct begin, The Old Mexico Shortcut and is there any traces of where the old roadbed was, as I think I found some of it just east of that where another train was parked the other day.

Thanks
Skeeter

Date: 01/18/06 09:08
Re: Araz Jct Question
Author: Steamjocky

I didn't know there was a siding at Araz. I thought it was multiple main track. I have a slide or two I took while at work on a trip to Yuma and I think I might have a shot of the old right of way where the line from Mexico came into what is now the Yuma Sub.

JE

Date: 01/18/06 10:31
Re: Araz Jct Question
Author: spnudge

You can see where the bridge crossed the canal, to the north of I-8 just before the Algodones exit, heading west, about 3 miles into CA from AZ. That is where it left the SP main. If you take the Los Algodones exit and drive towards the border, which is about 2 miles off I-8, you can see the cut, another bridge that is used for cars over another canal and the right of way as it crosses the highway and heads west and south to the the town. The canal is on your left all the way to the border. About 1,500 feet from the border, there is an old bridge-canal gate combo that still has the rail in it. I beleive that was a spur that connected the branch to the Yuma Valley RR way back when. The line into Algodones went on to connect to the SD&AE in El Centro/Mexicali. That was a Loooooong time ago.

Algodones is still a great place for a Margarita or beer for a buck.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds