Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP City of Industry

Date: 01/18/06 09:06
SP City of Industry
Author: UPNW2-1083

These pictures of the SP City of Industry depot were taken years ago by a friend. Anyone out there know when the depot was torn down?-Brian

Date: 01/18/06 09:06
Re: SP City of Industry

Another view.-BMT

Date: 01/18/06 11:54
Author: eljay

was this station once known as "puente" or "la puente"? thanks for any info, eljay

Date: 01/18/06 12:09
Author: Steamjocky

eljay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> was this station once known as "puente" or "la
> puente"? thanks for any info, eljay

La Puente...which I believe is Spanish for "the point."

JE

Date: 01/18/06 12:10

eljay Wrote:
> was this station once known as "puente" or "la
> puente"? thanks for any info, eljay

It might have been, being it's right next to the old downtown section of La Puente.-Brian

Date: 01/18/06 15:02
Author: eljay

thanks, john and brian. this was my neck of the woods (hacienda hts., actually) in my growin' up years. eljay

Date: 01/18/06 15:43
Author: PasadenaSub

Steamjocky Wrote:
> La Puente...which I believe is Spanish for "the
> point."
>
> JE

Actually, the literal translation for La Puente would be 'the bridge'. I can't think of any natural bridges around La Puente, unless the small hills there were thought of as sort of a bridge between the Pomona and San Gabriel Valleys?

Rich

Date: 01/18/06 15:46
Author: redzone

Where was the old SP CofI depot located? Off which street(s)?

Date: 01/18/06 16:01
Author: n6nvr

PasadenaSub Wrote:
> Steamjocky Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > La Puente...which I believe is Spanish for
> "the
> > point."
> >
> > JE
>
> Actually, the literal translation for La Puente
> would be 'the bridge'. I can't think of any
> natural bridges around La Puente, unless the small
> hills there were thought of as sort of a bridge
> between the Pomona and San Gabriel Valleys?
>
> Rich
>
>

Probably named for the original bridge over the San Gabriel River which was in that area.

Date: 01/18/06 16:14
Author: Steamjocky

PasadenaSub Wrote:
> Steamjocky Wrote:
> -----
> > La Puente...which I believe is Spanish for
> "the
> > point."
> >
> > JE
>
> would be 'the bridge'. I can't think of any
> natural bridges around La Puente, unless the small
> hills there were thought of as sort of a bridge
> between the Pomona and San Gabriel Valleys?
>
> Rich
>
>

That ought to tell you how well I did in my Spanish class in high school. (Actually I never took a foreign language in school except for English)

JE

Date: 01/19/06 11:12
Author: JohnSweetser

An SP notice on May 1, 1958 reported that the name "Puente" had been changed to "City of Industry" (I don't know if the effective date of the name change was the same date as the notice. It may not have been).

Date: 01/19/06 13:30

atsffan Wrote:
> Took this in 1974; I know it's hard to see, but
> that must be the old freight part of the depot in
> the distance. I'm quite positive I was standing
> just east of where the depot stood. I just don't
> think there's anything else that would've been in
> that location.
>
> Richard

This building is on the north side of the tracks where as the depot was on the south side. This building is still there and is being used by Franciscos halloween shop as a warehouse. You can tell by the construction of it that it's been there along time, maybe early 1900's. I know the depot was gone way before 1974 as like eljay , this was my hang out from the late 60's, and it wasn't there then.
If you look in the background of the 2nd pic I posted you can see the old fire station. I think it was torn down in the mid 70's to make way for the Hacienda Blvd. underpass. This picture was taken in August '76 and the foreground is the new Hacienda Blvd. and I think the fire station was just about where the big pile of dirt is (just above the cars). I might add that the blue "half-a-car" belonged to GRNDMND. The mystery continues....-Brian

Date: 01/20/06 20:26
Author: GRNDMND

Man you just can't let it die!

Kevin

Date: 01/20/06 20:42
Author: GRNDMND

I remember the old "Puente" depot/frthouse before the new City of Industry was built to the east. At the time, early 60's, the power for the couple of "haulers" was kept on the track adjacent to the depot. The depot sat on the south side of the main, and the old siding ran down to the 27 X-over. The siding at City of Industry was (is ) the "extension". There were three tracks in the "A"yard adjacent to the extension. There was no bowl yet, obviously and "C" yard was the PFE facility and a couple of additional through track. Mainline freights would make their set-outs or p/u's out of the A yard. Most of this stuff was destined to Los Nietos for sorting until the City of Industry classification yard was built. It was very interesting back then. Lots of open space.

Kevin

Date: 11/25/20 08:53
Author: trackplanner

I believe it was in 1965. I saw the huge smoke plume from our West Covina home when it burned and pedalled by bike the five or six miles down to see what was burning. Used to go there with my dad and brother to check the board. Thanks for posting Brian,that would have made Mike 10 or 11 at the time..

Don

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/20 09:00 by trackplanner.

Date: 09/02/22 07:12
Author: colehour

PasadenaSub Wrote:
> Steamjocky Wrote:
> -----
> > La Puente...which I believe is Spanish for "the
> > point."
> >
> > JE
>
> would be 'the bridge'.

A bit of trivia: in contemporary Spanish, puente is masculine -- el puente. I'm not sure why it is feminine in the place name. 

Date: 09/02/22 12:09
Author: wabash2800

It's interesting that the freight section is a different style roof than the passenger section. Based on my observations with other railroads and locations, it's possible they were two different buildings and they were merged together. It was't unusual for a railroad in the old days to move a building down the track from another location for such a retrofit. The freight station at Montpelier, Ohio was such a retrofit of two different buildings.

Victor B.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds