Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Nostalgia & History > Colorado & Eastern NW-5 986 at Denver Stockyards

Date: 01/31/06 14:32
Colorado & Eastern NW-5 986 at Denver Stockyards
Author: cozephyr

Colorado & Eastern operated NW-5 986, ex-Burlington Northern, eex-Great Northern around the Denver Stockyards, CO, May 5, 1986. This unit was shipped to Council Bluffs, IA, where I believe it was scrapped.

Date: 01/31/06 15:33
Re: Colorado & Eastern NW-5 986 at Denver Stockyards
Author: MTMEngineer

Only 13 NW-5's were built. GN No 192 survives operational at the North Shore Scenic RR in Duluth.

Here's a pic

http://www.northshorescenicrailroad.org/Home/Home.asp

Date: 01/31/06 21:07
Author: EMDSW-1

The Oregon Pacific has NW-5 #187 at Milwaukie, Oregon. It was re-engined with a 8-567BC engine and is operational except for some electrical work in the cab. Strange, as it only has one exhaust stack

Date: 02/01/06 10:36
Author: tolland

CZ, I've heard of the Colorado Eastern previously but very little information exists on it. Do you have any more info? I think the line ran east out toward where DIA is now.

Thanks,
Jim Burrill

Date: 02/01/06 12:54
Colorado & Eastern Operation
Author: cozephyr

Colorado & Eastern took over Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific RR switching from designated operator Cadillac & Lake City in the 1980's. They operated from Sandown Junction (UP Kansas Pacific line) to Belt Line Junction connection with D&RGW. They also operated in the Denver Stockyards. C&E sold Rock Island property (Duban Yard) to Sandown Junction late 1980's. Property now has Courtyard by Marriott and Yellow Taxi operating on that property.

C&E acquired and stored a couple dozen Burlington Northern units at the Denver Stockyards. BN came looking for their money or the units. Eventually units were repocessed and most scrapped. C&E sold to Tom Mars becoming Denver Rock Island RR.

Time line;

CRI&P ceased operations March 28, 1980
D&RGW operated section until July 1980
C&LC began operating the 4.0-mile line July 1980 for less than two years
Colorado & Eastern bought it in 1984. Later C&E acquired Denver Stockyard trackage.

That's all the time I have for today. Anyone else able to fill in dates?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds