Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > a couple of roundhouses

Date: 02/03/06 22:02
a couple of roundhouses
Author: xtra1188w

This is the former U.P. house in Hugo Colorado. Hugo is somewhat akin to Salida. Hugo looked like it was an important place in steam days, just like Salida. Just as what's happened to Salida, has happened to Hugo. There ain't anything railroad wise except the mainline left in either place as far as I know. Salida still has one shop building left, but it han't belonged to a railroad for lots of years, just like Hugo. I enjoy looking at where the iron horse used to roam and be stabled. If you go and look at where they used to be by yourself, be still and quiet while you're there & sometimes you can still hear and smell faint traces of them.

Con

Date: 02/03/06 22:05
Re: before Elitch Gardens, there was this
Author: xtra1188w

The C&S (BN) roundhouse in Denver, or what remained of the C&S house anyways.

Con

Date: 02/04/06 02:37
Re: before Elitch Gardens, there was this
Author: 4-12-2

Thanks for the shots. Unfortunately, never saw the house in Hugo, but was fortunate to visit and photograph the C&S house in Denver in 1965 and '67 when it was still well in operation.

I share your interest in steam facilities, and agree especially about the smell. It's great to be able to find steam facilities shots, and among my favorites are aerial or overhead views which provide a "general layout."

John

Date: 02/04/06 12:54
Re: a couple of roundhouses
Author: blackvy

The roundhouse at Hugo was still there as of Dec 28, 2005. The town has a nice display of RR equipment including a wig wag on the east side of town

Date: 02/04/06 14:58
Re: a couple of roundhouses
Author: NYCSTL8

What is the connection, if any, between the Elitch Gardens of today and the music venue of that name in the 1930's? Benny Goodman's band played there in 1935, on the way west to the Palomar Ballroom in L.A., where they finally hit it big and the Swing Era began. Thanks for any info.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds