Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Nostalgia & History > "KRK"--The Loner at 'Circle the Wagons'--1994

Date: 03/01/06 13:01
"KRK"--The Loner at 'Circle the Wagons'--1994
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hi Everybody--
I promised a second thread as an addendum to Brian's post on the general excursion topic which happened July 1st thru 4th, in 1994..

"Hal Lewis" was In-Charge of ONBOARD SERVICES as the train was sponsored by "Pacific Limited Group". I had visited with Hal Lewis the previous January-'94 at the Great American Train Show (GATS) in the Bay Area. Told him of my interest in being a Car Host on the July 4th weekend trip. He said he would let me know later!
He also stated that if I went on my own as a foamer-railfan, it would be extremely difficult to find a place to stay overnight in the immediate area...
Later that month (January'94) I was able to make an advance reservation IN PORTOLA at the "Sierra Motel" where UPRR train crews also stay. I lucked out and got my room for THREE nights. It was a fantastic place, and each day I would enjoy the long walk to and from the train yard over the bridge over the Feather River.
I ate my Breakfast and Dinner in a little cafe in Portola which is kept open 24-hours each day for hungry UPRR crews.
Enjoyed their stories when we were together "over Beans"...

So when the train arrived on Friday, July 1st, the Pac Limited Group folks went to the Feather River Inn...
"Key Route Ken" went to the Sierra Motel in Portola.. A truly great little place and very comfortable..

Now then folks-- Here comes the FUN !!!
The "Pacific Limited Group" folks decided to be BUSSED several miles away to RENO, Nevada for overnight accomodations and possible gambling, etc.. KRK stayed in Portola at the Sierra Motel...

On MONDAY morning, July 4th, I was getting ready to take the train home. I packed my bags and took a leisurely stroll over the river to the railroad cafe for breakfast and more UPRR tales.. After breakfast, I still had plenty of time til the train was ready to leave, so I strolled back to the Motel, made sure I had all my stuff, and strolled back across the river to the train yard in Portola where Steve Lee had everything in readiness !!

However, about "half way" across the bridge over the Feather River, I was suddenly startled by a loud horn blowing wildly right behind me. Guess who it was ??

It was a large chartered tour bus which was just arriving from RENO, filled with Pac Limited Group members and "Hal Lewis" too. The driver came up alongside me and opened the door and asked if I wanted a ride the rest of the way. I said SURE !
When I got on the BUS, I was attacked with catcalls of all kinds from everyone, i.e.-- "Hey Ken--Did you have a nice sleep??"... "How many pillows did you have, Ken ?" "Did you have a nice breakfast, Ken ?" And on and on and on...
I couldn't figure out why they were catcalling ME...

I had a VERY comfortable stay all weekend in the Sierra Motel.

BUT then "Hal Lewis" informed me that everything went wrong for everyone else when they got to RENO. They weren't expected. They had NO place to stay...
What rooms some got had to be shared by six others... (grin)
Some folks had to flake out in the hotel lobby like you do in the airport.. (grin)

KRK had a GREAT weekend.. Most others were probably longing for their own BED when they got home late that evening !!

All in all- "Circle the Wagons" was a FUN weekend overall.

Cheers.

"Key Route Ken"...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds