Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > Central Pacific #1 "Gov. Stanford"

Date: 03/03/06 19:29
Central Pacific #1 "Gov. Stanford"
Author: Vasona

I am curious as to the details in the display of Central Pacific #1 "Gov. Stanford" on university property in Palo Alto. The locomotive was apparently disassembled (or simply in need of major cosmetic work) around or during WWII, at which point the Southern Pacific called upon a long-time (possibly retired by that time) employee to return the locomotive to condition suitable for display. Is anyone aware of more details (such as a date) on this cosmetic restoration as well as when the locomotive left Palo Alto, and furthermore if title to the locomotive is still held by Stanford University? Thanks.

Date: 03/03/06 19:35
Re: Central Pacific #1 "Gov. Stanford"
Author: drew1946

I am not sure of the exact date the locomotive left Palo Alto, but I do remember seeing it parked in the old ATSF shop building in Richmond sometime in 1963.

Date: 03/03/06 23:51
Re: Central Pacific #1 "Gov. Stanford"
Author: GLC

Yes even though the engine is on display at the Cal-state RR museum, it is still owned by the university and the people at the museum take pains to point that out on the tours.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds