Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Nostalgia & History > a gaggle of cabeese

Date: 03/17/06 23:22
a gaggle of cabeese
Author: choochoocharlie

More of those pesky old cabeese photos from my FREIGHT TRAINS: FRONT TO FRED program..

1 - Santa Fe SD45 #5614 shoves on SF caboose # 999303 starting to look a bit shabby, as it heads up the hill after leaving tunnel #1 and headed for tunnel #2 and then into Bealville in the Tehachapis. Lead units were 5527 - 5529 - 5670 and 5524.
2 - UP cab #25678 on an eastbound near Cajon Summit.
3 - And at least one Eastern road caboose in this batch. A New Haven cab #C705 at Waterbury Connecticut (just want to make sure I can still spell it as I was born there) on a southbound train in the yard.

Date: 03/17/06 23:28
Re: a gaggle of cabeese

More cabeese

1 - SP/SF merger caboose #4726 on the rip track at Eugene yard near the One Spot.
2 - BN cab #12042 on a westbound just coming out of the Gorge and approacing the Vancouver, Wa. yard.
3 - DRGW cab #01509 on an Eastbound entering the yard at Eugene led by UP3478 - UP3514 and SP4424.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 03/18/06 02:05
Author: SLOtrainbum

Hey Charlie,
The last picture in the second thread....is that an SP caboose? I don't ever recall seing an end with daylight orange and white striping.

John in SLO

Date: 03/18/06 07:38
Author: moonliter

Nice photos, thanks for posting. In the second photo, what are the two lights on the cupola. One appears to be a red lens and the other green. Also would other marker lights have been added to the van when the train was operating or was one single red light all that was required?

Gerry Gaugl,
Ottawa ON

Date: 03/18/06 08:04
Re: Red light, green light
Author: john1082

A single red light was used.

The green light was turned on when the caboose (and the train it was attached to) was safely in the siding when being passed by another train.

Date: 03/18/06 08:43
Author: pwh

Hey Charlie, please post more NYC pix,esp. steam. Thanks.

Date: 03/18/06 09:56
Author: TopCat

SLOtrainbum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Charlie,
> The last picture in the second thread....is that
> an SP caboose? I don't ever recall seing an end
> with daylight orange and white striping.
>
> John in SLO

I would guess it is a DRGW (Rio Grande) caboose. They look great...

Top Cat

Date: 03/18/06 13:40
Author: WAF

It is a Grande caboose

Date: 03/18/06 14:03
Author: dmaffei

Glad to see someone was taking pictures of cabooses back then. Thought they'd be around forever, then again, nothings forever...

Great stuff. Thanks for posting

Date: 03/19/06 00:25

Please read info for each photo, it is the first thing mentioned (DRGW cab) for that last shot.

C.C.Chas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds