Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sierra Wood Caboose #9

Date: 03/18/06 19:32
Sierra Wood Caboose #9
Author: steamdiesel

Did the #9 Caboose ever get the frame rebuilt after its 1970's accident? Remember reading the CSRM museum bulletin that they were going to fix the car and never heard if it was done.

Date: 03/21/06 11:57
Re: Sierra Wood Caboose #9
Author: SandingValve

steamdiesel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did the #9 Caboose ever get the frame rebuilt
> after its 1970's accident?

NO. Sierra caboose #9 is at Railtown 1897 State Historic Park in Jamestown, CA. This caboose is inside the car repair shop and has been there for many years. It had been in the Tri-Dam restoration shop at RT 1897 SHP in 1995 while being evaluated for repairs. Apparently the evaluation came to the conclusion that #9 be put on the back burner so to speak, and moved to the car repair shop for storage while more pressing projects could occupy Tri-Dam. It still suffers from heavy damage, but is currently stored under cover, out of the weather. I will try to snap a few pics the next time I'm down there.

As a side note a former Elgin, Juliette & Eastern caboose is currently under restoration in the TriDam shop. This car has been used in several movies and TV commercials filmed at RT 1897 SHP. Here's a few pics that I was able to salvage off the CD from my Sony Mavica CD300 before the disc failed, sorry for the quality. These were taken February 26, 2006.

Erik A. Young
Engineer/Fireman/Conductor
Railtown 1897 SHP
Jamestown, CA

Date: 03/21/06 12:33
Re: Sierra Wood Caboose #9
Author: steamdiesel

Thanks Eric. Doug

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds