Home Open Account Help 135 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another Wig wag Where Is It

Date: 03/25/06 23:15
Another Wig wag Where Is It
Author: dgraves

This was taken in Redlands in January 85. Is this Nevada St.?

Date: 03/26/06 03:43
Re: Another Wig wag Where Is It
Author: danf

I'd say yes. Compare the 2 photos... Match up the utility pole in the background...

And it sould still be there today.

Date: 03/26/06 08:49
Author: SCAX3401

Well that may be the same location, there sure are few differences between the pictures. They are:

1) No trees in the background of the later picture (of course they may have been cut down!)

2) The cantilevered portion of the wig-wag is attached to the pole at a higher location in the newer photo (maybe it was moved up to allow better road clearance)

3) The older photo says two tracks while in the later photo there is no second track and no evidence of a removed second track on what appears to be not very recently paved road.

Also note that the second utilty pole has leaned to the right somewhat over the years.

Date: 03/26/06 12:06
Author: danf

You are right about the cantilever being in a different position. I still think it's the same wigwag though. Look closely at the more recent photo. It looks like they didn't repaint the mast after raising the cantilever - you can see the marks where it used to be positioned.

I have a feeling that the second track has been gone for some time. We can't see from the first photo if the other track was still there, even though the sign was. You can see a rust spot in the more recent photo where the 2 tracks sign was also.

That's not to say that there wan't another wigwag in Redlands besides Mt. View Ave until 1995, but I'm not aware of it. If there was, maybe someone can enlighten us...

BNSF6400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 2) The cantilevered portion of the wig-wag is
> attached to the pole at a higher location in the
> newer photo (maybe it was moved up to allow better
> road clearance)

Date: 03/27/06 14:43
Author: rcall31060

Notice how the conduit protruding from the bottom of the electrical box in the first photo goes straight into the ground and completely encases the wires (I think). In the second photo, they do not appear to be completely encased and curve inward, toward the pole. Just a guess, but I would say they are different locations.

rcall31060

Date: 03/27/06 15:04
Author: BaltoJoey

There is no other grade crossing on Nevada St by ATSF or any other railroad. Look carefully at the electric pole. You will see that the configuration of the masts and wires are identical. Possibly the conduit on the bottom of the signal box had been replaced in the intervening years at the same time that the wig-wag and it's support arm were raised.

BaltoJoey

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds