Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Nostalgia & History > Train Ferry Solano

Date: 03/30/06 09:03
Train Ferry Solano
Author: mdo

Two very old negatives of the Train Ferry Solano. This is the boat that was discussed in the story of the Suisun Sinks. Perhaps one of you can help me date these photos.

Date: 03/31/06 13:41
Re: Train Ferry Solano
Author: DKay

I saw a working model(HO scale) of the Solano, at last years Narrow Gauge convention in Dearborn MI.A most impressive model of a part of sui sun bay,s history.
Thanks for the pic,s ,very interesting.
Regards,Daryl kay.

Date: 03/31/06 18:47
Re: Train Ferry Solano
Author: Thomas

MDO, here is my brothers assessment of the top pic...

"It is definitley the 1916-1930 Solano (double windows and 3 bars on hand railing. With both the walking beams being white and the "Southern Pacific" sign mounted on the very left stack, this picture was likely taken after 1925 -- per an old man who studied the model in CA (he's referring to the same HO scale model DKay had seen in Dearborn). The gentleman asked what year our model represented. He recalled that before 1925 there was no SP sign on the stacks and the walking beams were painted red."

Bill adds, "In addition to that gentleman's memory, my guess is that the picture was taken between 1925-1928 because the "sag" on the guards is not present and the center post has not yet been beefed up."

And, as if there is no such thing as too much detail -- which is SO true on Trainorders, Bill also adds (regarding the second pic)...

"I can tell you that train 23 is the "CAPITOL" and that the train came from Sacramento and crossed from Benicia to Port Costa at 4:30 PM in 1927 and 1928 thanks to the SP Time Tables in the Benicia Herald. Wish I could read the engine number.
Thanks for the pics.
Bill'"

Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds