Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Nostalgia & History > A San Francisco Chief thought to end the day

Date: 04/05/06 22:58
A San Francisco Chief thought to end the day
Author: drew1946

ATSF 301 between Hercules and Rodeo, and at 26C at Collier, April 1971, with the SF Chief. At that time, the f-units were put on at Barstow replacing the FP45's and the process reversed on the eastward trip.

For those that don't recognize Collier, the locomorive is sitting just about where Highway 4 goes under the track now. The hills are now covered with houses.

By the way, is that not a Studebaker up on the road? For those under 40---that is a "fallen flag" automobile.

Date: 04/05/06 23:11
Re: A San Francisco Chief thought to end the day
Author: smitty195

Drew,

Your photos of Bay Area railroading are just incredible. Very cool to see places before the housing/population explosion here. If you have a photo of either the Coast Starlight or CA Zephyr back when they first became Superliners with the original paint scheme, I'd love to see that. I figured if anybody had a photo like that, you would! :)

Andy

Date: 04/05/06 23:28

Well, this isn't the Starlight, but it should be a good example of the paint. It is actually the Reno Fun Train at the Applegate flyover. During the 80's and into the 90's, the Fun Train ran with Superliners. I have several scanned shots of the Starlight but not on this computer. I will do my best to post some for tomorrow afternoon. If you want to send me your email, I can send you a higher resolution scan.

Drew

drewj@earthlink.net

Date: 04/05/06 23:34
Author: smitty195

I'll send you an email. Thanks!

Andy

Date: 04/06/06 00:26
Author: Mgoldman

Nice. I'd have liked to have seen that.
I'll have to settle for the Museum in Sacramento!
Thanks for sharing those.

Date: 04/06/06 03:02
Author: Evan_Werkema

Looks like Herpoco siding is gone in your first photo. Any idea when it was pulled up? For that matter, when did the Hercules Powder Company cease operations?

Date: 04/06/06 03:21

That is a question I can't answer as I really don't recall seeing it. I am fairly certain the powder company stayed in production into the early 70's due to Vietnam but even that is a guess. The impending demise of the Chief is what got me up there.

Date: 04/06/06 07:10
Author: Nitehostler

Can't give an exact date, but some of their former employees came over to Chevron in the late 70's. I worked with at least two of them...I'd say after 1976, but that is a guess.
And Drew, lest I get away from the original theme here, great photos, thanks!

Tom

Date: 04/07/06 14:29
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice pic and even then, Santa Fe knew how to make a 1ST Impression!

Date: 04/08/06 21:14
Author: IC_2024

Gosh, Drew, you certainly have been putting out the great scans on T.O.'s over the last week (guess the Feather River chase didn't tire you out too much!). Anyway, it's obvious you won't run out of material anytime soon--keep 'em comin'!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds