Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > Your "Once-In-A-Lifetime" Images

Date: 04/11/06 12:51
Your "Once-In-A-Lifetime" Images
Author: HUSKERHERB

Just when you think you'll never get a new timetable, for me, along came westbound SP SD40T-2 #8268 through Woodford in 1989 with a fresh timetable to add to my collection. This was one of those win-win opportunities to catch the crew in the act of tossing the timetable and getting it on film.

How about some of your "Once-In-A-Lifetime" images? Not just timetables!

Date: 04/11/06 13:01
Re: Your "Once-In-A-Lifetime" Images
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice Pic husker, for me is when 4449 leading the Worlds Fair Daylight! Nice consist and a great time, even for a guy who was a month shy of turning 10!

Date: 04/11/06 13:14

Thanks ProAmtrak! Do you have an image from that day? Since you mentioned it, that was another "OIAL" opportunity for me too and many others!

Date: 04/11/06 16:10
Author: isboris

MoPac shops, No. Little Rock, Arkansas, April 14,1976. The 4449 gets her drivers turned on the new $250,000 wheel truing machines just installed in the shops. After the no.1's are done, it was discovered that part ofthe machine, which was designed for 40" diesel wheels, wouldn't clear the Daylight's 80" drivers and she couldn't be moved in either direction. Without a second's hesitation, the Shop Foreman had a machinist grind on the machine until it did. I have no idea what the value of the machine would be in todays dollars, but in 1976 it was about equal to the price of a new SD-40-2

Tom

Date: 04/11/06 16:18

Now there's an image for the ages. Thanks for sharing a couple of great images!

Date: 04/11/06 18:56
Author: ProAmtrak

HUSKERHERB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks ProAmtrak! Do you have an image from that
> day? Since you mentioned it, that was another
> "OIAL" opportunity for me too and many others!

No that's the only bad part about that day, for some unknown reason my dad lost the film! I still wish that didn't happen because I would've posted the shots he took on here with no problem! Thing is Husker, seeing her racing down from Mojave-Lancaster at 75 was a sight to behold!

Date: 04/11/06 19:53
Author: Mgoldman

Here is my OIAL shot... PM#1225 pacing shot.

On Trainorders.com (don't want to post it twice)
http://www.trainorders.com/images2/view.php?26652

I recently scanned this shot at a higher resolution and
slightly different angle - this would be my official OIAL
shot with the barn in the background.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=139444

Date: 04/11/06 22:56
Author: xtra1188w

I have several "OIAL" photos, but here's one that follows the theme of this thread. This is a picture shot through the windshield of a 1973 Ford Ranchero 500XL in either February or March 1976 somewhere in Texas. Like others, I'm another one who should have taken notes, but neglected to do so. On the other hand, I probably would have lost the notes anyway.

Con

Date: 04/11/06 23:46
Author: danf

For me this would be one. Grabbing orders at Davis, Ca. in 1980. I guess I can't get that shot again.

Date: 04/12/06 00:34
Author: NscaleMike

I agree Dan...grabbing order shots...will no doubt no likely ever to happen again...nice catch...

Date: 04/12/06 08:52
Author: africansteam

xtra1188w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Nice shot, Con.

Africansteam

Date: 04/12/06 10:08

Thanks to all who responded with their comments and images. Nice work!

Date: 04/12/06 11:45
Author: PasadenaSub

Although I have lots of photos of things that seldom occurred, or will never occur again - the only OIAL image I can think of at the moment is catching SP Daylight painted SD40R 7342 leading an eastbound in the snow on Cajon, just west of the Canyon siding on February 4, 1983. The engine only stayed in this scheme a few years, and I don't know how many other times it would have led in the snow on Cajon - so it's a pretty rare image to me.

Rich

Date: 04/13/06 07:50
Author: SlwApprSlw

How about NKP 765 test runs through Monroeville, IN and at CF&E (PRR) Piqua Yard? I caught on 03/25/06.

Pic 1. Eastbound through Monroeville, IN
Pic 2. Piqua Yard - Ft Wayne, IN
Pic 3. CF&E local passing 765 - Ft Wayne, IN

Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
Railroads of NW Ohio
http://www.trainweb.org/rrnwoh

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds