Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Nostalgia & History > Oakland's 16th street station (this weeks obssession).

Date: 04/15/06 09:02
Oakland's 16th street station (this weeks obssession).
Author: ats90mph

Ok here is my little obsession for this week. Whenever I see something that seems interesting I like to find out everything I can about it. Ok, so this week it's Oakland's 16th street station. I never had the opportunity to go into it when it was in service. However I did see it about a week after the 89' quake, when I was also surveying the Damaged Cypress freeway (a pretty interesting thing for a 9 year old to see). But I digress, here are the questions: What was the original purpose of the station, was it meant to be a terminal for some long distance trains where others went to the mole, or was it a transfer station from long-haul to the SP interurban system? When was the mole closed, and why did SP decide that the 16th st. station was the best replacement? Also the tracks into the station, were those tracks the main line, or were they just station leads? Also was there any hold out problems, with getting to the outer track required to cross the inner track? Why did SP keep the station around when the interurban trains went away and just send them to the mole (answer dependent on question 1). Also any other interesting tidbits of history is very much appreciated! Also pictures!

PS
Hey if this is successful maybe this could be a weekly thing, or should I not torture all of you with my obsessions (railroad related of course), yet I digress again.

Date: 04/15/06 09:16
Re: Oakland's 16th street station (this weeks obssessio
Author: mdo

I can give you answers for most of the questions you ask. However don't have the time right now. Lets see who else can come up with answers. I will fill in the rest later today or tomorrow.

Quick, brief answers: Transfer Station, never intended to be a terminating station. Mole closed in 1958, then this was made the first/last stop before trains left/went into the maintenance/layover facility at the West Oakland Passenger yard. Tracks at 16th St. were considered main lines, from station toward west they were designated ML 4, ML 3.

(pictures and more detail later. mean while do a search on Oakland 16th St Station.)
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1141939

mdo

Date: 04/16/06 07:05
Author: ats90mph

Thank you mdo. I appreciate the info, also those of you interested in 16th street station, do a search and there is a website called lostamerica.com. It has some amazing pictures of the current state the station is in, really depressing actually (pictures like that give me nightmares). Also a couple more questions if someone can answer them. When was the interurban stopped? Did it relate to the key system at all? Also I heard plans to use the station for another purpose. Thanks to any further posters.

Date: 04/16/06 08:54

Oakland, 16th St. 1996

Date: 04/16/06 08:55

16th St. detail

Date: 04/16/06 14:31
Author: stash

Here are some links to click on for more photos.

16th Street station from the interurban platform:
http://www.trainorders.com/images2/view.php?47877

---

There are many here that I posted following a tour of the former station.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,807630,807630#msg-807630

---

Last Red Train electric service operated in 1941. No connection with the Key System, a different company. However, SP's electrics did operate across the Bay Bridge for a brief two years along with Key and SN.

Date: 04/17/06 02:36
Author: JohnSweetser

Oakland Mole was closed for passenger operations in 1958 when the SP discontinued its San Francisco Bay ferry service. However, the Mole was used for the loading of mail and express on passenger trains until 1960.

Date: 04/17/06 16:44
Author: KeyRouteKen

I will raise eyebrows here because I disagree with "MDO" and "John Sweetser" as well as "John Signor" who has a number of errors in his Western Division book..

The "MOLE" ('Oakland Pier', to railroad workers) was opened with a huge party in 1882 and officially closed in ""1960"" .......(After arrival of the mail train, "The KLAMATH"... Trains 19--20..) Ferryboat service was stopped July 30, 1958. The last official crossing was July 29th, but a final farewell was on July 30 th..

The KEY SYSTEM trains were shut down on April 20, 1958..
The INTERURBAN ELECTRIC (SP) and SACRAMENTO NORTHERN farewells were July 25, 1941.

When the "MOLE" closed, the Western Division offices were moved to a new one story building at 1707-Wood Street-Oakland, next door to the 16th Street Depot.

16th Street Station was served by MAINLINE Steam trains (Diesel later on) as well as a multitude of Transbay electric suburban trains (The IER).. 16th St Station was also served by KEY SYSTEM local streetcar lines, via Wood Street, as well as by "SP" streetcar service to Downtown Oakland and Alameda via the SP "Dinkeys".

The SP 18th St Line had a connection with the elevated electric line at 16th st. Tower, between the North End of the elevated platform and the Tower..

The electric tracks of the KEY, SN and IER were finally removed from the Bay Bridge in 1961...
The "MOLE" (Oakland Pier) was NOT torn down by the Port of Oakland until 1966...

Hope this info helps some..
Cheers..

"Key Route Ken"...

Date: 04/23/06 22:57
Author: calzephyr48

Pick up a copy of John Signor's book on the SP Western Division. It has some great historical pix of the 16th St station, when it was a waterfront property...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0777 seconds