Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rails of The City -- San Francisco scenes

Date: 04/16/06 14:10
Rails of The City -- San Francisco scenes
Author: stash

Three oldies for your pleasure, courtesy of historian John Harder.

FIRST: A Muni "torpedo" on Market during the height of BART-Muni subway construction. These were originally two-man double end cars.
--
SECOND: Typical scene on San Francisco's Market Street. After re-thinking the Grand Plan, tracks remain today on Market for the very popular "F" line streetcars.
--
THIRD: In the Outer Richmond heading down to the beach, a scene of the old Muni, a half century ago.

Date: 04/16/06 16:28
Re: Rails of The City -- San Francisco scenes
Author: pramer

Great!!
May we have more, please?

Date: 04/16/06 18:26
Author: drew1946

The MUNI's B line figures in one of my fondest memories, I was 9 years old during the summer of 1956 (the b fell in December of that year) and my grandmother took me on the Del Monte, still in steam, to San Francisco. We rode the 30 trolley bus over to Market and then changed to a B car for the ride out to the French Hospital on Geary St. to visit one of her friends. After her visit, we reboarded a B car and returned to 3rd and Townsend and a steam powered ride down the Peninsula.
She had purchased 5 tokens for the trip and the one remaining token ended up in my piggy bank---where it remains to this day.

Date: 04/16/06 18:46
Author: NscaleMike

Thanks for sharing these great series of images over the past several weeks.

Mike

Date: 04/16/06 21:51
Author: norm1153

Thank you, Stash!

Date: 04/17/06 15:52
Author: TCnR

The Market street construction photos are amazing, don't think anybody would believe that it was such a major project without photographic evidence.

Date: 02/28/21 11:16
Author: Winnemucca

I remember as a young man riding to work in the financial district on any streecar heading downtown. I always tried to sit close the front to watch the evolution of BART construction and the cars negotiating the various shoo-flies buit to guide MUNI around the construction sites.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0628 seconds