Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Nostalgia & History > Dunsmuir building question

Date: 04/20/06 19:56
Dunsmuir building question
Author: graybeard1942

Does this building have any significance to Dunsmuir's RR history? It has the look of an old boarding house for RR workers. It is on Sacramento Avenue near Butterfly.

Date: 04/20/06 20:39
Re: Dunsmuir building question
Author: DynamicBrake

Don't know for sure, but you could be right. I've often wondered the same thing. How about it Photobob?

Date: 04/20/06 20:50
Author: 322fan

According to a Sanborn map dated 1941, that building housed an "undertaker".
Wasn't Photobob around then? He might remember!
Serge

Date: 04/20/06 21:10

I think the undertaker building was maybe two buildings up the street...considering the frequency of RR on the job accidents in the old days, the location would be appropriate.

Date: 04/20/06 21:50
Author: dmaffei

frcanyonsub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the undertaker building was maybe two
> buildings up the street...considering the
> frequency of RR on the job accidents in the old
> days, the location would be appropriate.
It was the undertaker and mortuary all in one. went to a garage sale 2 years ago at the place. The embalming table was still there! Only in Dunsmuir can you find that at a garage sale...

Date: 04/20/06 23:06

Thank you for the history. Looks like it would make a good gathering place for railfans!

Date: 04/21/06 17:55
Author: BaldwinS-12

I've heard that Photobob has been "embalmed" in that building many nights, going back to the late 40's.

Date: 04/24/06 10:58
Author: TCnR

The story I've heard is that it was called Young's Mortuary, a number of folks have found evidence of it's past activity. It's been sold a number of times in the couple of years, highest asking price was above 700K, didn't sell for that though. The present owner lives in Marin and is looking to convert the building into a B&B, it's presently being used as a standard Dunsmuir level rental. There has been quite a bit of repair work required, the cedar shingles have been painted a lighter color before the last sale. There is a rumor that it's unique design is the work of a well-known architect, I have no idea about such things though.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds