Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > Around Chicago in '79

Date: 05/21/06 06:09
Around Chicago in '79
Author: GPutz

While driving south on I-57 in the early morning mist of 9/29/79, I overtook this s/b ICG empty hopper train at Ashkum, IL. There's more from south of Chicago, and a little from the north, too, at:

http://members.trainorders.com/gputz

Gerry

Date: 05/21/06 07:05
Re: Around Chicago in '79
Author: odub

How novel in this day and age to see a mixed hopper coal train. I used to love checking out the various roads hoppers were from on trains such as this. Now it's all unit trains in the coal hauling world.

Don Hall
Yreka, CA

Date: 05/21/06 07:16

Don, I agree that mixed hopper trains are interesting. We get them all the time here; e.g., the last U839 I saw had UP, MP, CHTT, CMO, BN, BNSF, C&NW, D&RGW hoppers, and one C&EI hopper. Gerry

Date: 05/21/06 09:19
Author: lynnpowell

Wonderful series of photos, Gerry. It's unbelievable that the Milwaukee would trust a hotshot pig train to a single SD40-2 (but then maybe one or two had already been bad ordered an set out!). The jointed rail really stands out in the photo, did Milwaukee Road have welded rail anywhere on their system?

Date: 05/21/06 09:31

Lynn, I believe the one unit on the Sprint trains was part of the deal with the unions; i.e., a Sprint train was limited to one unit and all it could haul; and, I believe, one crew at least between Milwaukee and Minneapolis, and maybe even Bensenville and Minneapolis. I think the CMSTP&P had some welded rail between Milwaukee and St. Paul; but they waited for Metra to install it on the lines around Chicago. Gerry

Date: 05/21/06 18:12
Author: kevink

Mixed car coal trains are still the order of the day in the CN's ex-Illinois Central lines. I just returned from a business trip downstate and saw several CN coal trains with all sorts of IC, CN, ex-CCP, ex-BN and other coal cars.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1685 seconds