Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Nostalgia & History > a few from Salt Lake City in '83

Date: 05/27/06 12:34
a few from Salt Lake City in '83
Author: 3rdswitch

In '83, I was forced assigned a vacation starting the 2nd week of January. The reason for this is on the Santa Fe you have to submit your vacation choices in Nov of the previous year and since I never put in for vacation before it finally caught up with me resulting in a vacation at an undesirable time of year. Since I knew the crews that were working the Amtrak trains on the Santa Fe, I arranged for a free ride to Salt Lake City on the Desert Wind. So in cold dreary Salt Lake City, UT, in Jan '83 we first have a Rio Grande hotshot headed for Ogden with some hot piggyback business with the state capitol sitting on a hill in the distance, next a Rio Grande switch job was heading through one of the junctions in town and then a short trip out to Garfield found this Salt Lake, Garfield and Western ALCO idleing away.
JB

Date: 05/27/06 12:38
Re: a few from Salt Lake City in '83
Author: 3rdswitch

And lastly a visit to the smelter at Magna found this Kennecott Copper SD switching acid tank cars. The friendly engineer invited my up into the warm cab for a while during the switching and sitting at the old Rio Grande station is part of train #36, the Desert Wind, that I road up to Utah on laying over until being combined with cars from both the Pioneer and San Fransisco Zephyr before departing for Los Angeles.

Date: 05/27/06 18:07
Author: northridgeswitcher

Any more shots of Amtrak from this same time frame? (35/36 25/26)...Thanks Northridge Switcher

Date: 05/28/06 18:18
Author: dieselman

NRSWR Thanks for the nice photos, really liked KCC904 what a rare treat any more KCC?

Date: 05/29/06 15:47
Author: MacBeau

Great stuff as always JB, and what variety!
—Mac

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds