Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Nostalgia & History > Sonoma, CA depot

Date: 06/12/06 22:16
Sonoma, CA depot
Author: atsf121

Stumbled on an the old Depot for Sonoma, CA the other weekend. Noticed a small sign, told the co-pilot we were taking a detour and followed it to a small park with a caboose and a couple of boxcars/reefers. From putting the lines together this connected to the NWP at Schellville and it looks like the line continued past Sonoma to the west. So was this an SP line and where did it go to? When was it abandoned? Was fun to stumble on, my dad didn't even know it was there and he's lived in the Bay Area for a long time.

Nathan

Date: 06/13/06 08:56
Re: Sonoma, CA depot
Author: campgus

Yes it was SP through Sonoma Valley to Santa Rosa. There are depots all throughout the valley. I was at a wedding in the Kenwood Depot on Sunday. A small, but impressive stone building.
Gus

Date: 06/20/06 08:17
Author: SteveD

While S.P. once had its own line thru Sonoma Valley to Santa Rosa, I thought depot referred to was reconstruction of burned out NWP depot, at least original was used by NWP the summer I worked on road in sixties. Maybe NWP just took over old S.P. structure.

Date: 06/20/06 12:16
Author: mario_puzo

The Depot you stumbled across is of NWP heritage. It was part of the Schelville to Eureka NWP system which was co-owned by SP and Santa Fe.

Date: 06/21/06 09:00
Author: WP-M2051

Correct that is the NWP site with the replica depot. The NWP branch went from Schellville and terminated at Glen Ellen. The SP went from Schellville to Santa Rosa.

OJ

Date: 06/21/06 12:31
Author: atsf121

Thanks for the info guys. I thought the original NWP went from Santa Rosa down to Navato and then over the Schellville. How did the SP reach Santa Rosa?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0307 seconds